Duckling Colours

CorvusTristis18

Chirping
May 24, 2018
Northern Sweden
Any idea what colouring the ducklings might have? They are rescues, so I can't say exact breed but there's strong runner duck genes in there. Female is the white with grey, I'm really curious what is dominant in this cross and the possibilities, anyone hatched from similar parents?

6af7c100-9255-4128-8fd5-ee3f7da345e3.JPG
0fdca802-a701-4c64-8b3a-d44a6cd8f5a9.JPG

they are lovely!
If they were pure Mallard and pure white the genetics calculator says they will be mallard coloured.

You could go to this site and play around a little: https://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingEend.html
thanks! That’s really interesting. They are super funny together, he’s always chasing after you, beak open, in the garden and they had a good time last summer with the garden full of peas and greens to nip at all day. About time they had some more company. Looking for Cayuga eggs to hatch next since we couldn’t find anymore ducks to rescue here.

thanks! That’s really interesting. They are super funny together, he’s always chasing after you, beak open, in the garden and they had a good time last summer with the garden full of peas and greens to nip at all day. About time they had some more company. Looking for Cayuga eggs to hatch next since we couldn’t find anymore ducks to rescue here.
Cayuga's are the best! Such friendly big giants, especially when you hatch them yourselves! They eat a lot though!

Hah good to know, thanks for the tip! Planning the garden now and doubling up since we didn’t get any rainbow chard for ourselves last year! I’ll make sure we have plants on rotation to replenish anything that’s not netted off :D

Hah good to know, thanks for the tip! Planning the garden now and doubling up since we didn’t get any rainbow chard for ourselves last year! I’ll make sure we have plants on rotation to replenish anything that’s not netted off :D
You make them very happy with fresh vegetables. I call them my hoovers. because they wil get everything. Very good in catching snails, occasional crayfish and frogs too.

I'm sure you will love them just as much as the beauties on the pictures.
Tip: if you are going for show quality ducks, I find some lines have ruffled back feathers. So look at the parents if they have a smooth feathered back. And in my area it's difficult to find good drakes. Can be completely different where you live...
I even put up a personal ad for a cayuga husband for my girls without any luck 😄

Any idea what colouring the ducklings might have? They are rescues, so I can't say exact breed but there's strong runner duck genes in there. Female is the white with grey, I'm really curious what is dominant in this cross and the possibilities, anyone hatched from similar parents?

View attachment 3051773View attachment 3051775
I am guessing that you have Runners with color patterns similar to a Silver Appleyard and an Ancona. But, if they are mixes or heterozygous for traits, all bets are off. I suspect you babies would most look like mom since extended black and runner pattern are dominant traits. I am no expert though. Here is a link to an article from Pyrix, who is an expert. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mallard-derived-duck-color-genetics-basics.74277/

I am guessing that you have Runners with color patterns similar to a Silver Appleyard and an Ancona. But, if they are mixes or heterozygous for traits, all bets are off. I suspect you babies would most look like mom since extended black and runner pattern are dominant traits. I am no expert though. Here is a link to an article from Pyrix, who is an expert. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mallard-derived-duck-color-genetics-basics.74277/
Yeah it's tough since they're rescues with no background info. They look a lot like runners, but seem less upright at times which makes me suspect some mix in there.

Back
Top Bottom