Duckling Don't Videos

johntfs

Songster
Dec 1, 2019
Jackson, Tennessee
I mentioned in my introduction thread that I planned to post a couple of video about the type of duckling owner/caretaker that I did not want to be. Here's the first:

Yeah. That duckling is adorable. So I get it on one level. Still, there's a few things wrong and likely some of you who actually raise ducks and ducklings will spot more. First, do you really want to put that fuzzy little poop factory on your bed? There's a reason for the phrase, "Don't shit where you sleep." That should reasonable apply to letting anything else shit where you sleep.

Second... there's just an attitude here. She really doesn't seem to know what she's doing. And her reactions have the feel of someone playing with a new toy more than anything else.

Third, by her accent she's American. And in America we have a national/federal law that prohibits taking migratory birds in as pets. And that's a mallard duckling. Now, there's mitigating cases. Someone finds an injured or orphaned duckling, cares for it, grows attached and makes it part of the family/flock. I get that. That's not what happened here. What happened here is that she saw a mother with a bunch of cute little duckies. And she grabbed one. To "save it" from eventually being prey or whatever. But she took a duckling from a wild mother duck. And she did this on or near Jan. 25, 2013, presumably.

Second video:

And now there's two fuzzy little poop factories on her bed, where she sleeps. Okie-dokie then.

Aw, she's feeding them on the bed. Whatever shes feeding them looks kind of dry. Maybe crackers for the little quackers? And there's no water. And ducks don't have saliva. So yeah, that's a pretty good chance of them choking.

Hey, her doggie wants to jump onto the bed, but she's saying no. Which is good. Because even if it is a cute, small poodle, it's easily huge enough to kill both of the ducklings in a couple of seconds. Still, she's saying no while paying attention to and fawning over the little ducklings. So, that certainly won't cause her dog to resent them and decide to kill the "competition" the first chance he gets will it? Of course not.

Looks like she violated federal law again and stole these two from another mother duck.

And she did that on or near June 26, 2013, six months after the first video.

Hey, anyone notice anything missing? Where "Duckie?" You know, the cute one from the first video? Maybe I missed it, but I didn't hear any reference at all to Duckie. Ducks can live for 10-20 years and this is just six months later. Surely Duckie is still around. Unless she screwed up the brooding or any of a number of others things give that six months later she refers to ducklings from the same brood as being from the same litter. And the internet existed in 2013.

Still maybe Duckie wasn't directly killed through incompetence. Maybe he just outgrew his cute and she dumped him back on the lake since he was "big enough." And then grabbed these two as replacements later.

I do note that there's no other duckling video posted by her, which means she either stopped grabbing ducklings or at least stopped confessing to breaking federal law in public. Which means we don't really know what happened to these two babies. But I doubt it was anything good. Especially if they lived long enough to no longer be cute.

I figured the one in the first video was mallard due to the coloration I've seen, but as I've noted I'm very far from an expert. Whatever it was, she took from a mother who was wild. And then six months later she did it again.
I think she meant the yellow one, I have a mallard and they tend to have that stripe across the eye, they also are dark in color, not yellow. I have both breeds and I'd agree with @Miss Lydia

Did she say she took the ducklings from their mama I didn’t see that
The girl who posted the video said she "saved" them from being eaten by wild animals. So yes, she took them from there mama because she thought they were going to be eaten. Here where I am if you find a baby mallard and take it, you either get fined or arrested for a couple days (depending on records) Nowadays you need a permit to buy mallards and a paper saying where you bought it, what time and how much, and how many.

Back
Top Bottom