Duckling eats and then begins falling over

jandsferguson

Chirping
Jun 19, 2015
Kentucky
I have a week old ducking who is normal. Eats drinks and is fine. The other one that hatched with him is half his size and when he eats he begins falling over. After a bit he can straighten up and walk ok but I am concerned that he is so small and the fact that he falls over and can’t get back up after he eats. Any help or advice would be great. Please help. I can loose my little dunkie

Last edited:
I have been waiting for duck people to respond since I don't have ducks, but ducks are poultry, so I will jump in.

Your little guy likely has some genetic issues. Some may be untreatable. But the falling over symptom could be from a vitamin E imbalance. Take a capsule of E 400iu and break it open and squeeze the oil onto the duck's tongue. If you can get some selenium tabs, adding a sliver to the E will help it be absorbed faster. Do this each day until the falling over disappears.

You might get some Poultry Nutri-drench and give the duck one drop each day. That can help tremendously to give the tiny one a jump start in development since it's obviously behind in that department.

Thank you so much. I love this little guy. He walks fine until he eats. Then it is like his front end gets too heavy. He also drinks so much water his poop is like water with chick starter in it. He is such a sweet duckling. He lays in bed with us and snuggles just like a puppy. I am so grateful for your response I will do what you mentioned and keep you posted. Please pray for my little “Dunkie”.

Back
Top Bottom