Duckling Emergency! *pic* (no longer an emergency. Thanks!)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Stormhorse23, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I think....What is this? This baby just hatched and I have no clue what is wrong! I posted this on the Other Poultry section but it is an emergency and I need help now if it is possible that I could lose my duckling!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  2. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    he hatched to early. He did'nt absorb all he's yolk. He might not make it. I lost two like that because mom went ahead and hatched them out before they were ready.
    [​IMG]

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Just keep him separated and warm. And don't handle him. That may reabsorb, but like pidgey says, he may not make it. How are the others in the hatch? Did you help this little guy out?

4. Stormhorse23

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Quote:He pipped, but didn't actually get the shell off. it was just cracked outward and i picked off a few pieces for him so her could get his bill (?) through, but that was all. the other is pipping, too. [​IMG]

5. DuckLady

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Ducklings can take a while to hatch. If the others are pipping, please just leave the bator shut. They need the humidity to hatch successfully and if you keep opening the bator, you are losing precious humidity.

*edited to add, if they just pipped this morning, they still have a ways to go before they hatch completely.

6. Stormhorse23

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Ok. Thanks. I have about 5 cups of water in there! One more left to pip. It's gonna be hard to leave this little guy alone, but I think I can!

7. Stormhorse23

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Ok. Well I went up to check on it again and it is rolling around like crazy (the duckling, not an egg!) and I can see the area of concern and it no longer look yellow and it is smaller!!!!!!! [​IMG]

8. DuckLady

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    That's great!

9. Stormhorse23

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    So it doesn't even take very long for it to be absorbed? I wish this baby would have slowed down. His lazier pipped sibs are takin their time! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by