Duckling Emergency! *pic* (no longer an emergency. Thanks!)

Stormhorse23

Songster
12 Years
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
I think....What is this? This baby just hatched and I have no clue what is wrong! I posted this on the Other Poultry section but it is an emergency and I need help now if it is possible that I could lose my duckling!

HPIM6481.jpg

Last edited:
he hatched to early. He did'nt absorb all he's yolk. He might not make it. I lost two like that because mom went ahead and hatched them out before they were ready.
hugs.gif

Just keep him separated and warm. And don't handle him. That may reabsorb, but like pidgey says, he may not make it. How are the others in the hatch? Did you help this little guy out?

Quote:
He pipped, but didn't actually get the shell off. it was just cracked outward and i picked off a few pieces for him so her could get his bill (?) through, but that was all. the other is pipping, too.
he.gif

Ducklings can take a while to hatch. If the others are pipping, please just leave the bator shut. They need the humidity to hatch successfully and if you keep opening the bator, you are losing precious humidity.

*edited to add, if they just pipped this morning, they still have a ways to go before they hatch completely.

Ok. Thanks. I have about 5 cups of water in there! One more left to pip. It's gonna be hard to leave this little guy alone, but I think I can!

Ok. Well I went up to check on it again and it is rolling around like crazy (the duckling, not an egg!) and I can see the area of concern and it no longer look yellow and it is smaller!!!!!!!
wee.gif

So it doesn't even take very long for it to be absorbed? I wish this baby would have slowed down. His lazier pipped sibs are takin their time!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom