duckling eye injury?

Kdhogge

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 15, 2012
Hello--I am new to this site, having recently aquired 12 Pekin ducklings, sadly lost one after the first night home so now down to 11; and 6 chicks. I was "talked in" to getting the chicks by the "poultry expert" at Tractor Supply in my town who said they would do great together if raised together as babies. I have recently separated the two groups as the chicks, one in particular, seemed to be pecking at the duckling's eyes. Is this common? I have 4 pullets, not sure of the breed yet but they look identical, and 2 Leghorns. The pullets are currently more agressive toward the ducklings, hopping all over them and seem to be attracted to the shiny black eyes of my ducklings:( I have one duckling who today would not open his right eye--I put a warm compress on it and it did open slightly, but has a whitish spot in it and he does not want to keep it open, so I am assuming a chick pecked him in the eye last night. Any suggestions? He has had the chance to swim and dunk his head, I do have human ophthalmic ointment but am not sure if I can use it on the duckling, but am concerned and of course it's Sunday. I have the chicks on their own side of my 6 foot stock tank now and things have calmed down a great deal. Any suggestions/advise for this first-time duckling/chick mom is greatly appreciated!
Kelly

Thank you! The tea "dunk" worked well, and I applied the eye ointment last night and the little guy or girl has opened it's eye, yay! Seems to be happy and healthy--whether it can see out of that eye or not it is running around with the others and eating and drinking just fine. Thanks so much for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom