Duckling feathering stages

Mccluckers

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 5, 2014
uk
Hi there I have two call ducklings

1 is 12 days old and the other is 10 days old

They seem to be getting some feathers on their back if you part the fluff you can see them. They are chocolate coloured( they are chocolate bibbed) but I do understand this if quite early to be getting feathers. They have have their baby tail feathers for awhile but that is just like normal fluff with a quil are they getting their juvenile feathers already? They are already part waterproof as they go for a swim every morning. Oh boy they do stink my bedroom out!!

Thanks

They usually hatch with rudimentary tail feathers, so that's normal. But they should still definitely be all fuzz at just 10 days old! Are you sure what you're seeing is true blue pin feathers? Do you have any photos of it?

Does nobody know?? Miss Lydia you normally know everything!! Lol
I'd post on the cute and cuddly call duck thread, I know duckling begin to get their feathers pretty quick and don't think anything is wrong but since i don't have Calls it would be best to talk to those who do like Going Quackers and learycow. Also Amykins has a call duck. Amykins to the rescue.
wink.png

Last edited:
Here's what Wobs looked like around 10 days. Maybe more like 2 weeks, I'm not too sure, but it was around there somewhere.

0.jpg

The first sign of pin feathers appeared on his head and chest between 3-4 weeks of age, you could feel little pricklies when you pet him. The feathers themselves didn't become immediately noticeable until he was 2 months old, when his tail and wings began feathering, by then he looked like a little porcupine! I've heard of some duck breeds fledging as early as 2 weeks, some as late as 3 months, but id Wobs is any baseline for calls, I'd say expect pinfeathers in the next couple of weeks at the earliest.

EDIT: I re-read your original post, and I missed the part where you said you could only see it if you parted his fluff on his back. I think that's fine, it's still a wee bit early, but I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of his follicles jumped the gun a bit! :p

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom