1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckling flailing around... Does not look good

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Oneacre Homestead, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Oneacre Homestead

Oneacre Homestead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    I have a week old duckling that cannot seem to walk normally. I did not notice this until today. I looked into the brooder and it looked like he was having a seizure. Now he walks, but kind of funny, like low to the ground and he is acting weird, just sitting still. I offered water, but he did not take it.
    He just had another seizure after a few moments of normal behavior.
    Does anyone have any experience with this?

2. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Doesn't sound like he's going to make it. He sounds to far into it. Have they had plenty of water they can drink. Kinda sounds like hypothermia or dehydration a bit.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would first mix up some vitamins in water and then hold the duckling and dip its bill in the water repeatedly and see if it would take the vitamins.

There is a tiny chance it might be niacin deficiency. But other neurological problems happen, too.

4. Oneacre Homestead

Oneacre Homestead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    They have not been without water...his mates all look good so far... I am watching them closely

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by