Duckling food

TiaNicole

In the Brooder
May 18, 2020
Naples Florida
So I’m currently feeding my ducklings meatbird crumbles, that’s all my store had by the house. I made the drive to another TSC store today and found this Purina food. Would this be better for my ducklings?

Attachments

• 93401E6D-C118-4ADC-BA0F-8F955ED48A9A.jpeg
    93401E6D-C118-4ADC-BA0F-8F955ED48A9A.jpeg
    630.9 KB · Views: 19
NO! that is not for ducklings because its got too much calcium in it for one thing. It's for ducks that are already laying. If you bought it you can use it once they start laying.

What breed of ducks and how old are they? The best thing you can get for your ducks is Purina duck pellets if you have no other birds in your flock like chickens, turkeys etc. TSC should have them and if they don't tell them to order them for you. They come in a 5# and 40# bag. The big bag is $16.99 at TSC so don't buy it on amazon or it will cost $48 for the same thing.
fullsizeoutput_34d2.jpeg

NO! that is not for ducklings because its got too much calcium in it for one thing. It's for ducks that are already laying. If you bought it you can use it once they start laying.

What breed of ducks and how old are they? The best thing you can get for your ducks is Purina duck pellets if you have no other birds in your flock like chickens, turkeys etc. TSC should have them and if they don't tell them to order them for you. They come in a 5# and 40# bag. The big bag is $16.99 at TSC so don't buy it on amazon or it will cost $48 for the same thing.
View attachment 2164431
Thank you! No I didn’t buy only because I still have some of the meatbird crumble still and I wasn’t sure if that’s what I needed! I have Pekin ducklings that are almost 2 1/2 weeks old. They did have the kind for ducks in a small bag though!

See if you can get those duck pellets. They are easy and they are good for ducks of all ages. You don't need to mess with going from starter to grower to maintenance to layer or worry with what's good for the drakes and what do the ducks need.

The only thing you'll have to add is the oyster shells when they start laying and those should go in a separate container.

Something else you should pick up from TSC is B-complex which is especially important for pekins. They are bred to be meat birds and they grow so fast that they often have leg problems because of their weight. It's got lots of niacin in it and other good things. 1 ml over a treat they will eat right up. I personally wouldn't put it in their water. They spill so much it would be wasted.
IMG_0251.JPG

See if you can get those duck pellets. They are easy and they are good for ducks of all ages. You don't need to mess with going from starter to grower to maintenance to layer or worry with what's good for the drakes and what do the ducks need.

The only thing you'll have to add is the oyster shells when they start laying and those should go in a separate container.

Something else you should pick up from TSC is B-complex which is especially important for pekins. They are bred to be meat birds and they grow so fast that they often have leg problems because of their weight. It's got lots of niacin in it and other good things. 1 ml over a treat they will eat right up. I personally wouldn't put it in their water. They spill so much it would be wasted.
View attachment 2166219
Sorry I'm new to having ducks, I did a lot of reading up on them and caring for them before I decided to get them. So if I got with The Purina Duck Pellets they can eat that from now on, even as they grow? I'm currenty feeding them the meatbird crumble which I have to add a tablespoon of nutritional yeast per cup. I was planning on finishing out the meatbird crumble then switching to the Purina. I also bought the B-Complex yesterday as well, and have started giving them 1 ml a day over mealworms.
I started to notice that they were a little wobbly and had the start of pigeon-toe so I made sure to get the B-Complex and start giving it to them before things got worse.

Yes, you can feed them that forever just add oyster shells once they start laying. Even when they are grown I always put nutritional yeast sprinkled on top of their food in the buckets just because it's extra good for them.

I hatched 9 babies today and I will start them on nutritional yeast tomorrow when I give them food and water. I will also sprinkle some b-complex on their treats in a couple of days.

So I’m currently feeding my ducklings meatbird crumbles, that’s all my store had by the house. I made the drive to another TSC store today and found this Purina food. Would this be better for my ducklings?

Purina makes a crumble for chicks and ducklings. Flock starter I think it’s called. it’s what I fed my ducks when they were tiny ducklings as they had trouble with the duck pellets at first til they got bigger. And Donna is right. That b complex is amazing for them

Back
Top Bottom