Duckling grabbed hurt bad

Ok, sorry I had to put my birds to bed :D. The pills you have to look to be Clavmox, at the ratio of 1 to 4 (Clavulanic acid 125mg to 500mg of the Amoxicillin).

The dose for Clavamox I see mentioned in "Plumbs Veterinary Drug Handbook" is 50-100mg/kg every 6-8 hours, or 100mg/kg twice a day. We'll just go with 100mg/kg twice a day, so grab one pill, crush it finely and mix it well in 10ml of water.

The dose will be as followed.

500 mg + 10 ml of water = 50 mg/ml

3.17 (Seven pounds) x 100 / 50 = 6.34ml of the liquid twice a day.

Give me a second to make sure I didn't make any mistakes with the dose. I'm nothing of a math wizz.

Last edited:
Note, that you don't want to stop the clavamox treatment short, or not all the bacteria will be killed, and it may build a resistance up to the drug. If you have 13 pills, you may be cutting it close as far as the recommended treatment. So, after mixing you'll have about 0.4ml left, make sure to save that and use it with the next dosing so you're not wasting any. I might be on the safe side and buy some Amoxicillin online now, just in case.

https://www.chewy.com/fish-aid-antibiotics-amoxicillin/dp/185201

Well, I gave her amoxacilin kept her wound as clean as I could w betadine and vetracyn I also put tripple antibiotic ointment on it. I was told to kept her warm and dry, limit her mobility and two main things keep her hydrated and prevent infection. I kept her in a 55 gallon tote in my bathroom. There's a unique way to syringe feed a duck, i was unaware of this. The middle of their mouth is a whole to their lungs is my understanding so you have to put it on the side never the middle. Unfortunately despite my best efforts to save her, this morning she had maggots in her leg the vet said that I could amputate it bc the leg was dead but she was unaware how much damage was beyond the leg. It just wouldn't be a life for her so with great sadness in my heart I ended her pain. She is buried in the boys run next to a very dear cat. She will have company always and remain close to her sisters and her elders in what remains my flock. Thank you to all that helped me thru a very difficult and gut wrenching experience. May my experience help another always.

Back
Top Bottom