Duckling having trouble walking and standing

Melglz

In the Brooder
Nov 28, 2021
hello everyone I was hoping I could get some advice on my little guy. I bought a duckling 2 weeks ago and ever since then he’s been having some trouble walking and getting around. He hops around and eventually just lays down. He can’t even stand still or move without falling on his back and flailing around. I assumed it was a niacin deficiency and got him 22% Dumor duck all lifestages, this is what the employees at TSC recommended me but he hasn’t gotten any better. Does anyone know what’s wrong with him or what I can do I’m really worried I’ve never dealt with this with other ducklings. Here are some close ups of his feet

Attachments

• 6583E999-D140-4C62-AF9E-8DC2CBA68619.jpeg
    6583E999-D140-4C62-AF9E-8DC2CBA68619.jpeg
    818.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 6CE8EC11-7B72-4EB2-A15D-438A0C749C18.jpeg
    6CE8EC11-7B72-4EB2-A15D-438A0C749C18.jpeg
    709.4 KB · Views: 34
I'd say your duckling is suffering from a niacin deficiency . Even given the proper feed formulated for ducks they can still be one or more with a deficiency, go back to TSC and get the durvet liquid B complex start with half a ml daily overfeed and by 2weeks give 1 ml over feed till at least 10 weeks old, any other ducklings will benefit also but this one needs to be dosed separately. you can give a tiny bit of mealworms with the liquid B complex over it but don't put into water it dilutes it down too much. Niacin def. can be serious if not treated.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

I'd say your duckling is suffering from a niacin deficiency . Even given the proper feed formulated for ducks they can still be one or more with a deficiency, go back to TSC and get the durvet liquid B complex start with half a ml daily overfeed and by 2weeks give 1 ml over feed till at least 10 weeks old, any other ducklings will benefit also but this one needs to be dosed separately. you can give a tiny bit of mealworms with the liquid B complex over it but don't put into water it dilutes it down too much. Niacin def. can be serious if not treated.
Thank you so much I’ve been really worried about him and my dad wanted to return him but I don’t want to give up on the little guy.

You don't need to give up on him and I sure wouldn't take him back no telling what may happen to it. Getting this little one on the liquid B complex can really help. So many have used it here on BYC to get their ducklings back up on their legs and feet.

Last edited:
It can take weeks just depends on how long they have had the deficiency. Those that catch it early can see significant improvement in less than a week. So yes def don't give up.

We're estimating about 10 days.
How old is your little one? Have you picked up some liquid vitamin B complex? What are you feeding?
We're estimating about 10 days. They're getting Purina's duck feed which says it has added niacin, and is good for all stages of life. We picked up the Durvet liquid b complex, but don't have a syringe with 1/2 mL, so we have to run out and get 1.

I think at that young age it's best to give the vitamin B over treats if possible. You can put it over peas or meal worms or in a tiny piece of bread or watermelon - something it soaks into. You have to be so careful when using a syringe with ducks so it doesn't go down the wrong side and aspirate in their lungs. Can be tricky when they're so small.

Also, it's best to give over treats to make sure that the needy one gets the full dosage, but I also add a little bit to their drinking water once a day when mine are little as well, just to make sure they're getting plenty while they're drinking out of small containers.

Back
Top Bottom