Duckling Has Been Pecking for 24 Hours but No Progress

jwbuck103

Hatching
May 28, 2022
I have a duck egg that I am pretty sure is pekin duck egg it externally pipped day 24. When I saw this I moved the egg into lock down. He has been pecking for 24 hours and has made no progress. Do I need to intervene?

I have a duck egg that I am pretty sure is pekin duck egg it externally pipped day 24. When I saw this I moved the egg into lock down. He has been pecking for 24 hours and has made no progress. Do I need to intervene?
Hi @jwbuck103 day 24 is pretty early. Is your duck in the incubator? Are there other eggs too? how is the humidity in %?
You always should be very hesitant to help since they usually will manage on their own.
If it pipped externally, the good news is, it can breath.

If it was my egg ( and this is only my personal advice! This may not reflect the view of the general public) I would wait a few more hours. If nothing happens, but you still hear peeping... very carefully remove just a few small parts of the shell to see if the duckling is not shrinkwrapped

Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry

This article is very informative for hatching assistance. You don't want to intervene too early. Since you're able to see the bill, I certainly wouldn't rush to intervene unless you're absolutely sure it's necessary. Is the bill doing any chewing or yawning?
Did you have a calibrated thermometer inside the incubator during incubation? Hot spots or temperature spikes can cause early hatchers.

Here is a picture of its pop.
EB7CFF39-019D-4231-8E1A-EAFF18D1D046.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom