Duckling hatched with what appears to be its tongue under its beak

Looks like the hawk perhaps ripped off the whole lower bill?

I have no advice but I cannot imagine it will be able to eat and keep its mouth moist with no lower bill. I would think about culling it.

Also, do take them back and check for a mother duck going frantic looking for them. They often come back after a predator has gone.

If she doesn't reappear, do you have heat lamp, brooder etc set up? I'm assuming so since you have an incubator at the ready!

That is what I am afraid of. When I went in earlier it wasn’t hanging out. But when I picked her up to look if came out the bottom and is now out. I’m reaching out to see if there is a vet who might be able to help me. They just hatched today I think. Found two more babies later and one egg that I do not believe is viable but put in my incubator to see. Momma was no where around
Is there any way to fix the hole for her?

I'm afraid I can't offer much help, as I've never had any ducklings with holes in their bills. As Eggcessive mentioned, since she is young, the tissue may heal over the hole, but it's hard to know if it will or not. A vet may be able to fill the hole with some sort of composite.

For now, keep the duckling in a towel-lined, warm, pen so you can monitor to see if she's producing droppings. Since she's only a day old she'll probably won't be eating much, but you can have a wide dish of soupy feed for her.

Luckily unlike chickens, ducks don't rely on their tongue as much for getting feed inside them.

I have no advice but I cannot imagine it will be able to eat and keep its mouth moist with no lower bill. I would think about culling it.

Also, do take them back and check for a mother duck going frantic looking for them. They often come back after a predator has gone.

If she doesn't reappear, do you have heat lamp, brooder etc set up? I'm assuming so since you have an incubator at the ready!

If you refer to the pictures, the lower bill is intact, the tongue is sticking through the lower bill.

The bottom beak is attached.

I took the babies down to my pond to see if any of the ducks would even try to come near (I have raised all the ducks on my pond from eggs) and hand feed them all. We have four big dogs so the fact that these eggs made it to hatching is a surprise to me. If I put them back in the nest where I found them the dogs or cats or something else will definitely get them. The mom was not with the two babies out in the yard as the deceased one had been that way a while and the other literally ran into my hand and was shaking and so cold. The two other babies I found in the nest were also shivering.
Yes, I have a brooder all set up with the three little ones. I am just so sad for this one. :(. Just hoping I can help it

I'm afraid I can't offer much help, as I've never had any ducklings with holes in their bills. As Eggcessive mentioned, since she is young, the tissue may heal over the hole, but it's hard to know if it will or not. A vet may be able to fill the hole with some sort of composite.

For now, keep the duckling in a towel-lined pen so you can monitor to see if she's producing droppings. Since she's only a day old she'll probably won't be eating much, but you can have a wide dish of soupy feed for her.

Luckily unlike chickens, ducks don't rely on their tongue as much for getting feed inside them.
Thank you for the advice. I have her with the other babies in a brooder and with towels and puppy pad since they are so easy to clean up and change.

Thank you for the advice. I have her with the other babies in a brooder and with towels and puppy pad since they are so easy to clean up and change.

Let us know if you see her poop, or see her eat/drink.

If you provide me with your general location, I may be able to find a vet near you that sees birds.

I have only seen that once in my flock and it was a chicken but our problem was that the rooster panted a lot causing the tip of the tongue to harden and it pierced the skin under the beak exactly like the picture what helped was guiding the tongue back into the mouth and putting VetRX on the tongue and the throat hole till the tongue stayed in the mouth
Oh my...

Let us know if you see her poop, or see her eat/drink.

If you provide me with your general location, I may be able to find a vet near you that sees birds.
She did drink a little when I put her beak in water. I put her beak in some crumbles also earlier and she seemed to eat the little bit ok. She was drooling a bit though earlier. I appreciate the advice and help so much. Makes me so sad.
I live near Xenia Ohio

The third picture is so cute and funny with his tongue sticking out
I hope he'll be ok though...
I know. I thought at first that it had two tongues but pretty sure it is just the one. He/she is very sweet. Just want to make sure I can do the best I can for it.

Back
Top Bottom