Duckling having issues pipping?

Im starting to get kinda concerned that nothing gets a movement out of her, I didn’t accidentally kill her by doing that did I? The yolk I can see is still the same color and not cloudy looking, there’s a faint smell but that was there when I went ahead and opened her shell up so I could apply Coconut oil on it, well it might be slightly stronger but I don’t think she’s dead. And it’s been almost two hours and I don’t think I’ve seen her move. Could she just be resting? Or did I maybe accidentally kill her even though I didn’t puncture the membrane or anything, unless moving her a little too much can kill her?
how are things now?

I think she’s passed, I haven’t seen any movement since last night. It’s weird though, from what I can see it’s not cloudy, there’s only the tiniest bit of a smell, and she’s a tiny bit stiff but that’s all

I think she’s passed, I haven’t seen any movement since last night. It’s weird though, from what I can see it’s not cloudy, there’s only the tiniest bit of a smell, and she’s a tiny bit stiff but that’s all
No sign of breathing? That is concerning. You might want to investigate soon. Did you read the article on assisted hatching?

Yeah, She sadly passd last night, but when I took her shell apart to see why she didn’t make it, it looked like her bill and nostrils were waaay too small compared to her head ps i don’t think she was gonna make it any way. I know this might happen with cross breeding but I’m hopeful her sister will hatch successfully in about three days from now with no complications

Yeah, She sadly passd last night, but when I took her shell apart to see why she didn’t make it, it looked like her bill and nostrils were waaay too small compared to her head ps i don’t think she was gonna make it any way. I know this might happen with cross breeding but I’m hopeful her sister will hatch successfully in about three days from now with no complications
you said her mum was a crested, didn't you? Perhaps she didnt develop quite right, I'm not an expert on the subject, but I've heard that they often dont make it

I'm sorry to hear she passed, how many other eggs do you have left? just the one?

Last edited:
I started with six and now I'm down to one egg left but she looks really lively and I've upped the humidity as best as I can so I hope she makes it. I'm monitoring her really closely

i have 1 chicken chick with my 2 ducklings, and they live with baby quails together too, you can give it a friend of the different species for a while im finding

I also found out that the little one that died didn’t have a fully formed skull but no evidence of having a puff so even if she had survived she would have had to be an indoor special need pet. Also, there’s something weird with the other hatchling who goes into lockdown tonight, she doesn’t fill the shell up completely, there’s one little strip that appears to just be empty space and it’s confusing the life out of me. Like she’s fully formed and due to hatch by Saturday but I’m wondering if she’s a runt or if something is wrong with her

Back
Top Bottom