Duckling having problems

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by burdboy, Aug 3, 2016.

1. burdboy

burdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    I have a male Rouen duckling I got from cackle hatchery and from the start he was much smaller than my female Rouen and female khakie Campbell. He does pretty good at everything else but when I put him in water for him to swim he goes stiff and falls over I grab him dry him off and he's fine. Do y'all now what's wrong with him/ what I can do for him?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How old and is the water warm or cold? Almost sounds like some kind of seizure. If this is cold water try warm.

3. burdboy

Apr 19, 2016
    I've tried warm cool and room tempature and he's about 4 weeks old

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Has he had Niacin supplement from tiny? Might help to give him some in form of Nutritional yeast or plain niacin if you can find plain. 125 megs per gal of water crushed and mixed daily or 1 tab of Nutritional yeast per cup of feed either till 10-12 weeks old. this supports neurological and bone health. Reg Chick feed doesn't have adequate amounts to support water fowl. Crested non crested?

5. burdboy

Apr 19, 2016
    non crested, I was just wondering why he was the only one I've raised about 10 duckling so far no problem.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Just some ducklings need the extra nutrients. It's really not unusual and is best to go ahead and supplement all brand new ducklings if brooded inside. if mama raises them they aren't as likely to have a deficiency.

7. burdboy

Apr 19, 2016
    thank you what could I give them for extra nutrients we take them outside everyday that it's not raining it bad weather and I've seen him eat insects and grass

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Best way would be to add some nutritional yeast to their feed to me this is the most natural way to give them their B's . You could also try crushing a B complex and mixing into their water make sure it has at least 125 mgs of niacin in it. You could try poultry Nutri drench or save a chick your local feed store should have something.

9. burdboy

Apr 19, 2016
    Just regular cooking yeast?

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    No no not baking yeast Nutritional yeast most natural food stores carry it. Human grade. You can order from Amazon.Might find it at Whole foods if you have one close.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by