Duckling head deformity

Pics

TheSmallestEgg

Songster
Mar 22, 2018
Oswego, New York
image.jpg
hello. This is my last little Moscovy baby. It was struggling for over 24 hours since it started to unzip. We finally broke away a little of the shell but then this guy popped out looking like this.that bump is on his head. It almost looks like a long blood blister. He hasn’t unbent himself really. He rolled on his back a lot. Anyone see anything like this? I know the photo isn’t super clear but, he’s still in the incubator. It seems like he’s resting now.

Any tips or personal experiences are welcome here. I’m pretty new to duck hatching and the rest of my ducks all hatched right on time and are doing fantastic. I wonder what happened here.

Ive experienced this only a couple of times over the years. They never made it. My theory is their skull never closed properly. I dont know if it was faulty incubation or genetic flaw though.

Ive experienced this only a couple of times over the years. They never made it. My theory is their skull never closed properly. I dont know if it was faulty incubation or genetic flaw though.
I want to attribute it to genetics just because I had no problems incubating with the others but, hey, anything is possible. Like I said, it was my first incubation and I had moscovys and Campbell’s in and they’re all doing really great thank goodness, but I’m sure I made many mistakes along the way that attributed so some of my early deaths on the beginning.
I’m letting this guy dry up in the incubator and I’ll see if he ever stands up but right now it looks like he can’t unbend and stand up straight, not just like the typical newborn waddle. How long did yours usually last?

They lasted less than 48 hours.
You had a good hatch though. Good job! The more hatches you do, you are bound to see strange things. Not every chick will be perfect. Such is life. Cute babies you have there.

Thank you! He’s fluffed up and the bump looks smaller now, he’s also unfolded and is standing up. I think I have to keep him separately though while he’s still alive, I’m worried the others will pick on him. Poor little guy.

Back
Top Bottom