Duckling help (Urgent!)

Pics

Liasse

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2018
So about a couple days ago we got some chickens but later decided to get some ducks along with them a few days later, the chicks are perfectly healthy and going strong im pretty sure they already formed their own small pecking order. However when I got ducks I didn't realize they'd be such a hassle haha.

We originally brought home four right away I'm afraid I don't know the species quite yet but a professional said that the one with the stripe will probably be a mallard. There was one with a black head, one with the stripe, a completely grey one, and a yellow one. The yellow one started attacking the other ones. I'm aware that them pecking each other is normal but the yellow one was being extremely harmful to the other ducks. The mallard one started pecking them later but it wasn't harmful like the other one.

We went back to exchange the agressive one for another yellow one. The person said that the duck was tired and that's why they weren't moving much, but when we brought the duck home whenever he tried to walk he would fall over. The store had closed and the poor duck could barely open their eyes.

We were expecting that the duck would die over night. We seperated the yellow duck from the others because we weren't sure if it was sick. The other ones were attacking it when we put it in, and the yellow one couldn't walk without stumbling. He seems happy being held by humans however... He seems to also have trouble eating and drinking on his own sometimes we have to help coordinate him as he gets confused. We actually have to feed him from our hands a lot if of times. He did start walking better overnight though, he however still has trouble

Could he have some sort if brsin damage? I saw something that seemed like a indent of a scratch on his head but that's the only thing I can think of. He's really trying, but we cannot put him in with other ducks. He tries to eat, drink do all that. We also heard someone saying splay leg for the duck.But I'm not sure if it's for just chickens or ducks, the person also mentioned they usually don't survive, any info or ideas on this, the other ducks are quite active and happy however
1521853625321-2054478633.jpg

Last edited:
The thing about chick feed and most other types of feed is that they don’t quite have all the vitamins ducks need. Especially your yellow Pekin. They are a large breed. Do you have a tractor supply near by?

The thing about chick feed and most other types of feed is that they don’t quite have all the vitamins ducks need. Especially your yellow Pekin. They are a large breed. Do you have a tractor supply near by?

Yes, we actually got the ducklings from tractor supply, we are using Purina chick starter. But the workers there said that we were able to use it for both chicks and ducklings and that's what they used for all their ducks/chicks

If you have a way to separate the chickens from ducks, I would feed your ducks an all flock feed. It has a duck on the front at TSC and the bag is red and green I believe. I would also go get some poultry vitamins. Ducks need a lot of niacin. Put some nutri drench in their water and don’t give them another option for water. The niacin will help the legs. If you need help finding them in the store, let me know. Also if you have any questions, just ask!

I got my yellow duckling from tractor supply, probably even got the same feed as you. All the ducks are doing well on it. I added grit last week and they get different treats every night.

Do you have the ducks and chickens together?

Yes, we actually got the ducklings from tractor supply, we are using Purina chick starter. But the workers there said that we were able to use it for both chicks and ducklings and that's what they used for all their ducks/chicks
FYI- my TSC has the correct duck feed for their ducklings. And know the difference between chick and duck feed. So it may just be education on their part. :)

But sure is confusing when you rely on them for information.

I got my yellow duckling from tractor supply, probably even got the same feed as you. All the ducks are doing well on it. I added grit last week and they get different treats every night.

No the chickens are completely separate one of the chickens won't let them in the same coop.
FYI- my TSC has the correct duck feed for their ducklings. And know the difference between chick and duck feed. So it may just be education on their part. :)

Alright, so I'll look into that. But the other ducks appear to be fine on it? In fact they are quite energetic. The yellow one appears to be very chattery though. But he has trouble eating and drinking alone?

As they get older and go outside, what do you guys use or plan to use as a feeder? Will they use thise enclosed ones like the chickens? And what kind of ground cover after they kill the grass? I know straw for the house and I can already see it will be a mess..lol

Nope! In fact they are in 2 totally different coops. One of the chicks aren't very nice when it comes to newcomers found that out the hard way

No the chickens are completely separate one of the chickens won't let them in the same coop.

Alright, so I'll look into that. But the other ducks appear to be fine on it? In fact they are quite energetic. The yellow one appears to be very chattery though. But he has trouble eating and drinking alone?
I would also try to wet down his food. It will make it easier to swallow.

Some ducks may not absorb nutrients at the same rate or as well. And Pekins need more than other breeds just because they grow to be so large.

Back
Top Bottom