Duckling help (Urgent!)

So about a couple days ago we got some chickens but later decided to get some ducks along with them a few days later, the chicks are perfectly healthy and going strong im pretty sure they already formed their own small pecking order. However when I got ducks I didn't realize they'd be such a hassle haha.

We originally brought home four right away I'm afraid I don't know the species quite yet but a professional said that the one with the stripe will probably be a mallard. There was one with a black head, one with the stripe, a completely grey one, and a yellow one. The yellow one started attacking the other ones. I'm aware that them pecking each other is normal but the yellow one was being extremely harmful to the other ducks. The mallard one started pecking them later but it wasn't harmful like the other one.

We went back to exchange the agressive one for another yellow one. The person said that the duck was tired and that's why they weren't moving much, but when we brought the duck home whenever he tried to walk he would fall over. The store had closed and the poor duck could barely open their eyes.

We were expecting that the duck would die over night. We seperated the yellow duck from the others because we weren't sure if it was sick. The other ones were attacking it when we put it in, and the yellow one couldn't walk without stumbling. He seems happy being held by humans however... He seems to also have trouble eating and drinking on his own sometimes we have to help coordinate him as he gets confused. We actually have to feed him from our hands a lot if of times. He did start walking better overnight though, he however still has trouble

Could he have some sort if brsin damage? I saw something that seemed like a indent of a scratch on his head but that's the only thing I can think of. He's really trying, but we cannot put him in with other ducks. He tries to eat, drink do all that. We also heard someone saying splay leg for the duck.But I'm not sure if it's for just chickens or ducks, the person also mentioned they usually don't survive, any info or ideas on this, the other ducks are quite active and happy however
View attachment 1308474

Might not help anything but I got my Pekins from metzerfarm.com
18004247755 I call them almost everyday with a random question...
They suggested I give them pedialyte
Or electro light packets for a boost ....
I'm sorry about your baby ducky

I would also try to wet down his food. It will make it easier to swallow.

Some ducks may not absorb nutrients at the same rate or as well. And Pekins need more than other breeds just because they grow to be so large.
I'd like to thank you for informing me about niacin I'll be getting it tomorrow hopefully the little guy survives the night I'll continue helping him drink and eat.

Might not help anything but I got my Pekins from metzerfarm.com
18004247755 I call them almost everyday with a random question...
They suggested I give them pedialyte
Or electro light packets for a boost ....
I'm sorry about your baby ducky
Tysm for your concern! if things don't get better I'll feel free to give them a call to see what they think. He's not moving much right now, which concerns me. But he's a fighter I'm sure he can keep going for one more night

I’ve had some weak ones. I got the food wet and put honey in the water to entice them to drink. I put honey in the wet food also. I make it soupy like mushy oatmeal.

Tysm for your concern! if things don't get better I'll feel free to give them a call to see what they think. He's not moving much right now, which concerns me. But he's a fighter I'm sure he can keep going for one more night
I had no idea how attached I was gonna be to these things.
I'm nervous about mating season and they haven't even hit puberty...
I'm going to gather a first aid kit tomorrow
I hear niacin is a must
I'll look for updates on the baby

I’ve had some weak ones. I got the food wet and put honey in the water to entice them to drink. I put honey in the wet food also. I make it soupy like mushy oatmeal.
Question, how much niocin should I give to him hes only a little over a week old, and how should I give it to him? Just break it into the water?

So about a couple days ago we got some chickens but later decided to get some ducks along with them a few days later, the chicks are perfectly healthy and going strong im pretty sure they already formed their own small pecking order. However when I got ducks I didn't realize they'd be such a hassle haha.

We originally brought home four right away I'm afraid I don't know the species quite yet but a professional said that the one with the stripe will probably be a mallard. There was one with a black head, one with the stripe, a completely grey one, and a yellow one. The yellow one started attacking the other ones. I'm aware that them pecking each other is normal but the yellow one was being extremely harmful to the other ducks. The mallard one started pecking them later but it wasn't harmful like the other one.

We went back to exchange the agressive one for another yellow one. The person said that the duck was tired and that's why they weren't moving much, but when we brought the duck home whenever he tried to walk he would fall over. The store had closed and the poor duck could barely open their eyes.

We were expecting that the duck would die over night. We seperated the yellow duck from the others because we weren't sure if it was sick. The other ones were attacking it when we put it in, and the yellow one couldn't walk without stumbling. He seems happy being held by humans however... He seems to also have trouble eating and drinking on his own sometimes we have to help coordinate him as he gets confused. We actually have to feed him from our hands a lot if of times. He did start walking better overnight though, he however still has trouble

Could he have some sort if brsin damage? I saw something that seemed like a indent of a scratch on his head but that's the only thing I can think of. He's really trying, but we cannot put him in with other ducks. He tries to eat, drink do all that. We also heard someone saying splay leg for the duck.But I'm not sure if it's for just chickens or ducks, the person also mentioned they usually don't survive, any info or ideas on this, the other ducks are quite active and happy however
View attachment 1308474
Why is it sitting in a cup of water to get cold?...

Why is it sitting in a cup of water to get cold?...
Ducks enjoy water, the water was not cold. The duck chose to go in there by choice, this is natural behavior? He also sits in his food bowl it's just his personality. It actually helps him not having to move too far to get to his water and food bowl :)

If it is a capsule? Then yes I would put it in their water. Each one can have around 100mg a day if they are low. So it depends on how much is in each capsule.

Back
Top Bottom