Duckling help

Acorbell

Hatching
Apr 3, 2016
I have a 2 day old duckling that i hatched from my personal flock. This is my first time hatching and I have one that is gasping for air and wheezing. He is still active but do not know what to do. Was fine this morning. I have a video I can email but it won't let me upload

Maybe his nostrils are plugged up... try putting him in a sink/bathtub full of warm water, ducks often get food stuck in their noses :) they are silly that way ;P
also, can he stick his whole bill into his waterer?

hope this will help!
hugs.gif

P.S. my ducks make weird breathing sounds too! deep water seems to help :)

Last edited:
I am wondering if the little one has something stuck in the throat.

I would get a shallow pan of water at brooder temperature (paint roller pans or baking pans work well for ducklings this young), give the little some time splashing in the water - perhaps that will clear it.

They can get respiratory infections, but I figure we can start with trying to deal with the simple stuff first, like a dry throat or stuffed up nares.

Remember to supervise constantly when they're in water and not let them stay in more than 5 or 10 minutes.

Any sign that he or she has been trying to eat the bedding? My Runners tried to eat shavings, so I brooded them on old towels. Silly birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom