Favus/ringworm in ducklings

Cltichler

Hatching
Feb 6, 2024
I recently adopted 15 Ancona ducklings that are now 2 weeks old and appear to be very healthy other than small missing patches of feather; some near their necks, some around their wings.

I am concerned that they may have favus/ringworm. I am their primary caretaker and have been handling them as much as possible, cleaning constantly and I have developed ringworm on my face. There is not an avian vet anywhere near me to confirm a diagnosis; has anyone treated an entire flock of such young ducklings? Will I need to separate them all for treatment to avoid them ingesting the topical treatment?

SOS from a first time duck caretaker,
Thank you.!

Diet? Do they have access to water.
They do not have access to swimming water, but do have 24 hour access to drinking water through a water feeder. They are on Kalmbach, all natural duckling starter feed as well as nutritional yeast supplement added in ratio per cup of feed. I also add probiotic supplements and electrolyte supplements to their drinking water.

Usually around 2 weeks we start to see bald patches on our ducklings it is normal, but if your concerned post pictures so we can say for sure it’s normal. Always a good idea to have pictures available.

Usually around 2 weeks we start to see bald patches on our ducklings it is normal, but if your concerned post pictures so we can say for sure it’s normal. Always a good idea to have pictures available.

The patches are more prominent when they are wet which is after every feed because they are MESSY little beings. In the image, they had just finished ravaging their fresh food, of which I add water too, so they shake it everywhere. But you’ll see that there are two with a fairly raw neck, and the one closest to the camera has a red patch on his wing. I would say of the 15 that 5 of them are more prominently experiencing it than the other 10.

But when they are dry, it is almost completely concealed as their fluff returns. I just can’t tell if there is a fungal infection and if they are the source of me getting it on my face as I’m constantly touching them.

0AC5F843-9F0C-4535-AEDB-AB82AB17450B.jpeg
A4F41CC2-830E-44D8-A537-6F42329813ED.jpeg
C7D2EFDC-F651-4620-AD2B-FE4FB1AD88FC.jpeg
6C576790-865C-4FB4-96A9-676D1B818862.jpeg

If you are having nice sunny weather even temps into the high 50's and no wind gather them all up and take them on a field trip outside let them run around some and exert energy if they are nibbling on each other maybe this will stop if they have something to do.
or maybe block off an area inside where they can run around some, those chicken treat balls from TSC they really love put mealworms in and let them push it around and have some fun. the mealworms will fall out as they roll it around.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom