Duckling issues with legs

BlueHero

Hatching
Jul 14, 2023
Hello I have been doing some research but decided to post to try to get some help. I had two ducklings hatch. One is fine, the other came out with his legs straight behind him almost in a superman position. In the brooder he is laying on his belly and just kind of scooting around. He doesn't stand but he is eating and drinking. I am giving him some Purina Electrolytes and probiotic. Is there anything else I should be doing? I have seen posts about a harness to hold the baby up. Does anyone have any recommendations or example pictures of this?

I really am worried about him and do not want to put him down but I will if its the right thing to do.

Well, as an update he passed away today. But any suggestions on what it could have been are appreciated.

Sorry to hear your duckling passed away. From what it sounds like that duckling was going to have a hard life. Personally, I would have put it down because it's quality of life would not been very good. People do keep this ducks alive with lots of extra care. They need slings and food and water in reach. They have to be kept clean so they don't get ammonia burns, which the slings help with. They also develop sores over time.

It is also possible that there was something wrong internally that couldn't be seen. Since it had a defect, it is very possible it had other issues. If that was the case, there would be nothing you could have done.

Back
Top Bottom