Duckling keeps rolling onto it's back

Update! He is walking but has a little stumble. He still can't stand while he eats. He has to sit or I hold him up. I started taking him out side yesterday to get excersise but he just wants to sit next to my feet. So I walk around a little and he follows me. I think I spoiled him. I don't want to over work him since it is so hot out side here in Texas. When I'm not working I can take him out several times a day. When I work I will only have one hour when I get home before night fall. I had to build a fence in the laundry room to keep him away from the door (it opens inward) and cleaning supplies on the shelf. He was getting out of every plastic tub I put him in. I also took him out to see the other ducks today since he is walking. He is literally half their size. It's amazing how difference one week of not eating right can make. They were pushing him and walking over him. I feel so bad for him. I hope he gets bigger so he doesn't have too much trouble when we open the pond to them. Should I introduce them like dogs? Put up a barrier between them so they can get to know each other?

Update! He is walking but has a little stumble. He still can't stand while he eats. He has to sit or I hold him up. I started taking him out side yesterday to get excersise but he just wants to sit next to my feet. So I walk around a little and he follows me. I think I spoiled him. I don't want to over work him since it is so hot out side here in Texas. When I'm not working I can take him out several times a day. When I work I will only have one hour when I get home before night fall. I had to build a fence in the laundry room to keep him away from the door (it opens inward) and cleaning supplies on the shelf. He was getting out of every plastic tub I put him in. I also took him out to see the other ducks today since he is walking. He is literally half their size. It's amazing how difference one week of not eating right can make. They were pushing him and walking over him. I feel so bad for him. I hope he gets bigger so he doesn't have too much trouble when we open the pond to them. Should I introduce them like dogs? Put up a barrier between them so they can get to know each other?
Wonderful your seeing progress, baby steps are better than no steps so your on the right track. And yes put up a barrier between the others an him so they can get to know each other again and the lil one won't get trampled. Thanks so much for the update.

Thank you so much for the help. I couldn't have make it through without your advise.
hugs.gif

It's right at the age where you see the niacin deficiency some ducklings just seem more prone to it than their siblings, You need to start adding Brewers yeast to their feed or plain niacin or B complex to their water if you get plain niacin get 150 megs crush and add to 1 gal of water. All the ducklings can have it even though they aren't showing symptoms. Weaknes in the legs and neurological problems result from niacin dif. The quicker you start the quicker you'll see improvement.
welcome-byc.gif
I have Cayuga Ducks that are almost 2 weeks old. I have one that is doing the same thing as described previously. I gave them quick chic from Murry McMurry Hatchery. I didn't know I needed to feed them brewers yeast. How much do I put on their food? Do I have to give the brewers yeast to them or will the Niacin enough? Sorry for all the questions!

I have Cayuga Ducks that are almost 2 weeks old. I have one that is doing the same thing as described previously. I gave them quick chic from Murry McMurry Hatchery. I didn't know I needed to feed them brewers yeast. How much do I put on their food? Do I have to give the brewers yeast to them or will the Niacin enough? Sorry for all the questions!
Nutritional yeast is much better than Brewers and you might be able to find it at Walmart. It's not too late, I didn't know about it until last year and started about this time too and mine ended up doing fine. 1 TBL per cup of food. You could get some b-complex too in the cattle department at Tractor Supply and add that to yummy treats for them and it will be a nice boost. It's always good to have some on hand anyway so it won't be wasted.

Back
Top Bottom