Duckling limping and can't float! Help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Crayonsmom, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Crayonsmom

Crayonsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    Last night I noticed that my 4 week old duckling is now limping. She doesn't like to put a lot of weight on her left leg. She didn't even want to paddle with it when I let her bathe this morning. I looked and felt around and can't find anything wrong. How long should I wait before taking her to a vet? I'ev also noticed that within a few days, that fatty blob at the bottom of her neck has pretty much disappeared. Is that normal for ducks her age, or should she still have a bunch of fat there? While swimming, she was definitely sinking in the front end and I ended up having to hold my hand under there so she could float. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Poor ducky. Keep any eye on her for a few days to see if she improves. Help your duckling with swimming each day because that will help her injured leg heal. Make sure the ducklings are getting enough Niacin in their diet, because that helps prevent leg development problems. I'm not sure about the fat question, its been a while since I my ducks were that age.

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I wonder if putting Niacin in her water every day would help?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I sure would give it a try, I am still using brewers yeast on mine and he's 3 mos old.

5. Crayonsmom

Crayonsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    Thanks for the suggestions. [​IMG] She's still limping pretty badly today, btu is still in good spirits! I'll let her swim at least once a day. Where can I get niacin to add to her diet?

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Have you checked the bottom of each foot to see if there is any abrasion or injury there?

i use brewers yeast for my ducks. i top dress their daily peas with a heaping tablespoon for 11 ducks. i buy mine at the local health food store.

8. shadust1

shadust1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    my duck is limping again too...i guess im gonna go get some of that stuff too...better to be safe then have my poor baby limping...

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:If it is a nician deff. then you should notice improvement in under a week. Hopefully thats what is it, a simple fix indeed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by