Duckling limping and can't float! Help!

Crayonsmom

Songster
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
MA
Last night I noticed that my 4 week old duckling is now limping. She doesn't like to put a lot of weight on her left leg. She didn't even want to paddle with it when I let her bathe this morning. I looked and felt around and can't find anything wrong. How long should I wait before taking her to a vet? I'ev also noticed that within a few days, that fatty blob at the bottom of her neck has pretty much disappeared. Is that normal for ducks her age, or should she still have a bunch of fat there? While swimming, she was definitely sinking in the front end and I ended up having to hold my hand under there so she could float.
sad.png

Last edited:
Poor ducky. Keep any eye on her for a few days to see if she improves. Help your duckling with swimming each day because that will help her injured leg heal. Make sure the ducklings are getting enough Niacin in their diet, because that helps prevent leg development problems. I'm not sure about the fat question, its been a while since I my ducks were that age.

Thanks for the suggestions.
smile.png
She's still limping pretty badly today, btu is still in good spirits! I'll let her swim at least once a day. Where can I get niacin to add to her diet?

Have you checked the bottom of each foot to see if there is any abrasion or injury there?

i use brewers yeast for my ducks. i top dress their daily peas with a heaping tablespoon for 11 ducks. i buy mine at the local health food store.

my duck is limping again too...i guess im gonna go get some of that stuff too...better to be safe then have my poor baby limping...

Back
Top Bottom