Duckling limping, no sign of injury

Frozen Feathers

Songster
12 Years
May 4, 2007
Maine
My 7 week old Runner duck is limping, pretty badly. There is no sign of injury, there are no apparent breaks, I can't even feel a hot spot. Both feet/legs look the same, there is no apparent signs of swelling.

Questions:
Could be a sprain?

Is there some sort of duck illness that would cause this?

She's still eating/drinking but having a hard time getting around. Should I separate her? She seems very happy with the other ducklings, they are guarding her from curious chicks.

Is there anything else that anyone can think of that I should look for?

Is there anything I can give her to make her feel better?

Thanks

I had the same thing happen last week with one of my cuckoo maran chicks. I put her in a crate with food & water in the spare bedroom for 5 days. I just put her out last night back in with the girls and she was fine this morning no limping. I think she sprained her foot getting off the roosts. Hope that helps maybe if you confine it for a few days it will get better.

I agree- She probably needs to just sit and stay off that foot for a couple days. Could be a sprain or strain... kind of like when you get out of bed and just "step wrong" and it takes a couple days to pass.
I'd put a little piece of asprin (baby asprin- even better) in a syringe with water and give it to her once or twice a day. I know asprin is ok, but I'm not sure about tylenol or any of the others.

Okay, I will separate her. I have a dog crate so easy enough. I do have baby aspirin (2 year old daughter and all) so I will try giving her some and see if that helps. Poor little girl.
sad.png
I feel so bad, while everyone else is chasing bugs and treats she's just sitting there.
sad.png
Hopefully she'll get better soon.

Do you think letting her swim in the tub would help at all, or just hurt her more?

I kept mine from moving to much she could barely walk when I put her in the crate. I don't think she was eating or drink hardly. When I put her in the crate she went crazy wanting to eat. She had just enought room to stretch out but not walk around to much. I just checked on her a few minutes ago and I can't tell which one she is now. I have 4 cuckoo marans and not one was limping. So good luck and keep us updated.

Last edited:
Angie, Growing ducklings are highly susceptible to leg injuries and strains, especially if they grow too fast. I have had 3 different ducks turn up lame this season, ranging from a slight limp to complete immobility. There are many factors that cause this, including injury or niacin deficiency. Ducks tent to panic and trample each other, injuring their legs. Sometimes they are growing too quickly and their legs just collapse on them. Ducks also need more niacin (it affects leg and wing growth) in their diet than chickens, so if possible, you should feed them waterfowl starter/maintenance, or flock raiser, or meat bird grower. Try to keep the protein under 20% for ducklings and under 16% for adults. This can be acheived by adding whole oats and or wheat to their food after about 4 weeks of age.

Meanwhile, go to the health food store and get some niacin tablets. Crush one up and add it to a gallon of water and give it to the lame duckling. It would be a good idea to add some to the water of the others as well. I bought some niacin capsules that have sprinkle type beads inside the capsules but they do not dissolve in water at all so I sprinkle one of those over their food once in a while.

Separate the lame duck into a pet crate or smaller cage where it can readily reach its food and water. If it cries a lot you can put one of the other ducklings in with it to keep it company. Take it out once or twice a day to have some therapeutic swimming and a little time with its friends. Ducks legs are made for swimming so the exercise without weight bearing is really helpful.

One duck (an Ancona) that couldnt walk at all took eight days of separation and therapy to recover. I would put it out on the lawn with the other ducks for a few hours each day during that time.
Another duck (a SilverAppleyard) recovered in two days, and a third (a Runner) has had recurring problems, but is a real trooper. She gets to swim in the deep stock tank and I let her eat all the little gold fish that she can catch. LOL.

chel

I know this is an old thread but because it's helped me a lot in deciding what to do about a limping duck.. I had to post a word (ok - sentence) of thanks.
Our first ducks - two dozen of them are thriving at 7 weeks - eating wild bird starter food - happy swimmers all except one who just started limping a couple days ago. She (he?) gets around very slowly on her own but because I feel bad for her/him, she gets free rides a lot. She's happy in the pool - eats and drinks well but does lag behind the flock. I think I'm going to offer her/him a box in the pen - but safe from being stepped on... and see how things go.

My runner duck that is 3 most old has been limping for a week. It doesn't seem to stop her from going places and she doesn't behave different. I keep her and her buddy in a small pen yesterday but not much change. They have access to a big pond and small pool. They have the correct food and nothing visible is wrong with foot. Am I reading that you all just confined for days till it was better? I'm out of town for 4 days starting Wed. I can confine them until I leave and pray for it to heal. But just want to make sure I set up everything so the person staying here doesn't have any extra issues. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom