Duckling loosing fluff?

Rmstuck

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 11, 2012
Ames,IA
Well I bought 5 pekin ducklings last Friday they are all eating and drinking great but one has very thin feathers compared to the other four and now has a bald spot on its wing and the skin looks pretty red. Sorry I'm new to ducks so any ideas or help is much appreciated.

I definitely have them too hot. So im adjusting that. This one duckling doesn't seem to want to stand much either will get up if I reach my hand in but then just runs away then sits back down.

What feed are you using? If it's chick starter, that doesn't have enough niacin in it for many ducklings, so a supplement is needed, either plain niacin capsules dissolved in water (100 mg per gallon of water) or a sprinkling of brewer's yeast on their food.

I would get a thermometer. 90F the first week, dropping 5 degrees a week, and they need a space in the brooder away from the heat source.

They need water 24/7, as well as starter food. They need to be able to wash their heads frequently, and a bath daily in warm water (90F the first week, similar to the brooder temperature) is a good idea. Water just up to the tops of their legs, and only for a few minutes, and make sure they are warm and dry afterward.

So I got the heat adjusted and set they get baths everyday since I've had them, I bought the chick saver electrolytes gave them 2 gallons of that so far today is there a limit on how much to give them?. They seem to think its a treat they love it or just really need it?

I'm new to Ducks also. I have mine covered in towels for shade and its long enough for them to escape the heat if needed. But didn't know about keeping the baths 90 F also? do you keep a thermometer in the bath water as well?

Back
Top Bottom