Duckling Niacin Deficiency?

Hello

Thanks everyone for your input - it really helps and gives me more encouragement that she's going to get better. I came back at lunchtime today and put some niacin in her water (150mg per gallon, crushed and stirred in). This evening I've just come home and immediately as we walked through the door we noticed she's a lot more active today - moving quicker and sparkier than she has been. She's been on the niacin for 2 days now - her bran mash yesterday and that and the water today. When we came home she was by her food bowl eating and drinking. She was hopping from dish to dish (ie turning around in a hop movement as they're next to each other) and even tried to, and almost stood up there for a minute (yay!). I just gave her another bath and although she sits there with her legs dangling, when I make her move she can and does swim - both legs looking pretty strong. When I walk away from the sink she swims to try to get closer to me - so she can do it. I wonder if they're just weak from a week of non-movement. But all in, she does seem on the up. She's back under her lamp now cleaning herself off with more vigour than she was yesterday so still looking stronger. I don't want to get too excited just yet as she's not walking by any means, but she is improving
smile.png

Here is a pic of her in the bath with her legs just dangling. They don't look too abnormal to me, but I may just be used to her by now!

Hello

Thanks everyone for your input - it really helps and gives me more encouragement that she's going to get better. I came back at lunchtime today and put some niacin in her water (150mg per gallon, crushed and stirred in). This evening I've just come home and immediately as we walked through the door we noticed she's a lot more active today - moving quicker and sparkier than she has been. She's been on the niacin for 2 days now - her bran mash yesterday and that and the water today. When we came home she was by her food bowl eating and drinking. She was hopping from dish to dish (ie turning around in a hop movement as they're next to each other) and even tried to, and almost stood up there for a minute (yay!). I just gave her another bath and although she sits there with her legs dangling, when I make her move she can and does swim - both legs looking pretty strong. When I walk away from the sink she swims to try to get closer to me - so she can do it. I wonder if they're just weak from a week of non-movement. But all in, she does seem on the up. She's back under her lamp now cleaning herself off with more vigour than she was yesterday so still looking stronger. I don't want to get too excited just yet as she's not walking by any means, but she is improving
smile.png

Here is a pic of her in the bath with her legs just dangling. They don't look too abnormal to me, but I may just be used to her by now!

Aww what a precious lil duckling, so happy to hear your seeing improvement. keep us updated..

Update: Hazel is still in very good spirits and has had two 'water therapy' sessions today already. She doesn't actively swim herself but I can encourage her to, and she can. She's standing up on her own for a bit longer now but still weak on them. I've still been searching about duck leg problems and I came across a post (on here, from last year I think) where someone vet wrapped their duck's legs for a couple weeks and it gave them the support they needed to help them walk again. I am now going to try this - does anyone have any experience with this, or is there a specific way to do it? I'm just going to try doing it the way I would my horse - just on a much smaller scale!!

I have taken the vet wrap off. It seemed to be hindering rather than helping her. I got a picture of her legs - see how she doesn't really stand on her foot / ankle but favors the whole leg?

If the legs are still splayed, you will also want to put a hobble on.

When the duckling stands, do the legs go out to the sides?

Does the webbing on her feet open like normal?

Last edited:
Yes they're a little splayed - how would I put a hobble on a duckling?

And no, the webbing doesn't open like normal - it all seems a bit weak so she doesn't / can't put any pressure on them so they're just a bit floppy. It does open like normal when she's swimming though, so it's possible

Here is some info from Metzer Farms
One ideal method is to take a 3/4" band aid and cut it lengthwise down the middle. Put the pad part between the bird’s legs and wrap the adhesive end around the leg and on to the pad. This keeps the legs the proper distance apart. Normally within a day or two, the bandaid will fall off and it is no longer needed. But watch them as you may need more applications. If you don’t have bandaids, you can also use string, rubber bands, masking tape, etc. The key is to bring the legs back to their natural position.

Do keep an eye on it as it will become permanent if not corrected now.

For the feet you will need to make "shoes".

This is the only pic I could find quickly but I wouldn't advise tape. Cut a piece of thin cardboard (like christmas box type) to about the foot's size. You want some that is realtively sturdy but not too heavy for the duckling. Spread the web out and use vet wrap to attach the cardboard to the foot. It may be easiest to do this with an assistant.
2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom