Duckling nostril closing!! Help

A really good pic would help. Does it look like a membrane? Can you touch it and tell what it feels like. Might want to talk with the owner about a vet, If its membrane maybe the vet can make some cuts and get it open. If feed clogged then getting them into a warm bath right away to see if it will open.

It feels like the bill just like regular maybe a little bumpy. Here are their water. They have a normal chick water and a little bin of water to dunk their heads. I’ve tried to get a good picture but I feel like I’m stressing it out a lot! One side looks like a normal bill with out a nostril and the other side is working it’s was to no nostril like you can see an indent but not an opening at all. It sneezed and sounded as if it came out of its nostrils but I’m not sure. 8CE5C26E-BB0E-42B8-976C-4EECE4F0DD2B.jpeg BA33D280-844B-4119-B5D1-FE427EC24C89.jpeg

It feels like the bill just like regular maybe a little bumpy. Here are their water. They have a normal chick water and a little bin of water to dunk their heads. I’ve tried to get a good picture but I feel like I’m stressing it out a lot! One side looks like a normal bill with out a nostril and the other side is working it’s was to no nostril like you can see an indent but not an opening at all. It sneezed and sounded as if it came out of its nostrils but I’m not sure. View attachment 2607514View attachment 2607515
Are you sure they are tall enough to get there whole heads over that edge, and down into the water? I may be imagining that the ducklings are smaller then they are, but I would put her in a warm bath, or add a container that is shorter. It doesn't look they they can get ever heads in there, but it may just be me.

Yes they can get their head in it. A chicken feed crumble with some vitamin boost
Chicken feed crumble is not a good duckling food. Ducklings need the correct amount of niacin to function, and that is why your duckling can't walk. I would suggest picking up Purina or Mazuri Flock raiser, and having the owners pay you back when they can if possible. That feed is pretty cheep anyway, usually between 18-20 dollars. You will see huge improvements after you switch feeds. :)
Until then, @Miss Lydia, do you know the ratio to mix niacin powder into chick feed for ducklings?

Yes they can get their head in it. A chicken feed crumble with some vitamin boost
Alright, try giving her a warm bath that she can swim in to help her possibly remove a blockage. Can you put a shorter container in there anyway? That may help her get her whole head in, just incase she is having a hard time with that container. I hope I can help and we figure out the little sweeties problem soon! ☺️

Not everyone can buy Mazuri, I have never seen it around here, I have used chicks stater grower and added Nutritional Yeast sprinkled over top and also liquid B complex.
If you can find it and afford it that is great but using chick starter grower is okay as long as you use a form of niacin until at least 10 weeks and maybe longer with Pekins.

Back
Top Bottom