Duckling nostril closing!! Help

So I gave them a warm bath and she could blow bubbles with her bill and you know how when a scab gets wet it kinda gets loose and a different texture? Well her scab over her nose felt like silicone almost. I have VetRx which is kinda like a vix vapor rub for poultry that they drink would this help?

Not everyone can buy Mazuri, I have never seen it around here, I have used chicks stater grower and added Nutritional Yeast sprinkled over top and also liquid B complex.
If you can find it and afford it that is great but using chick starter grower is okay as long as you use a form of niacin until at least 10 weeks and maybe longer with Pekins.
there’s other duckling starters too if you can’t find mazuri, mannapro has a duckling and gosling starter

Not everyone can buy Mazuri, I have never seen it around here, I have used chicks stater grower and added Nutritional Yeast sprinkled over top and also liquid B complex.
If you can find it and afford it that is great but using chick starter grower is okay as long as you use a form of niacin until at least 10 weeks and maybe longer with Pekins.
:goodpost::goodpost:

there’s other duckling starters too if you can’t find mazuri, mannapro has a duckling and gosling starter
Purina is very common to. Most feed stores carry it. Purina flock raiser is what I fed all my ducklings. I recently switched to a more expensive Kalmbach though, for the Non-GMO and All natural factors.

So I gave them a warm bath and she could blow bubbles with her bill and you know how when a scab gets wet it kinda gets loose and a different texture? Well her scab over her nose felt like silicone almost. I have VetRx which is kinda like a vix vapor rub for poultry that they drink would this help?
VetRx probably won’t do much. I think the nostrils are filled with—for lack of a better term—dried boogers.

Have you actually seen them dunking their heads in the tub of water? Literally, pretty much their whole head, upside-down in the water?
Maybe the tub cuts into them or pinches at that sharp top edge. It might help to cut two slight crescent shapes on either side of that tub. If you have a lighter (or candle) you can also melt the edge just barely, and use your finger to roll it a bit so there’s not a sharp edge when they lean in.

To get them clear a little faster, use a warm damp washcloth, when the secretions are softened after a bath, and gently try to ‘scrub‘ the boogers off. I don’t mean scrub like you would your floor or bathtub... be very gentle, but persistent. It might take a couple rounds of bath time and washing, but then they’ll suddenly sneeze and any little bit left will come loose.

Okay so the food brand is Purina and when I have ducklings I usually always keep them on Purina flock raiser but the owner was using duckling food for them and that’s when she thought maybe the food was causing the leg issue so she just switched the food yesterday to this chicken crumble with niacin. Our nearest feed store is an hour away so it’s not as easy to just go get some.. or else I would.
So if this is Dried booger’s would it be the same color as the bill? The duckling doesn’t like when I try to move the thing on its bill too much but I will have some warm bath time tomorrow and try to get that bill issue fixed if that is the problem. Has anyone had this issue before?

And I have not actually seen them dip their whole head in the water they drink like a little off the top and that’s pretty much what I have seen but they do have access. But when I got them a warm back the mostly just sat in it put did try to clean their bill but did not dunk their whole head. This is the first day I’ve had them tho.

Okay so the food brand is Purina and when I have ducklings I usually always keep them on Purina flock raiser but the owner was using duckling food for them and that’s when she thought maybe the food was causing the leg issue so she just switched the food yesterday to this chicken crumble with niacin. Our nearest feed store is an hour away so it’s not as easy to just go get some.. or else I would.
So if this is Dried booger’s would it be the same color as the bill? The duckling doesn’t like when I try to move the thing on its bill too much but I will have some warm bath time tomorrow and try to get that bill issue fixed if that is the problem. Has anyone had this issue before?
I think it could be... mucous can be colorless so it blend in to their bill color.

You needn’t be too aggressive. They can still breathe. Ultimately though, the problem isn’t going to be resolved unless they are able to clear their own nostrils underwater several times a day. Try a different container, or modify the one that’s there to make absolutely sure it’s not uncomfortable for them to use it.
A lot of people use a milk jug, and cut out the circles on the sides. That way the ducklings can put their head in the hole, but they can’t make as big of a mess.

Back
Top Bottom