Duckling not doing well...can remember spelling on what to get

Where did the ducks come from? Is it possible that you got a bantam mixed into your order?

I suspect that if she looks and acts healthy that maybe you are worrying too much. Make sure she isn't pushed away from the feeder by the larger ducks.

Some times they just grow different. Somewhere in my flock I have a duck whose legs and feet grew huge and his body stayed small. I planned to cull him, except for now I can't tell which duck it is because he grew up just fine. He sure did look odd for the longest time.

I don't think I would over do on the vitamins, maybe save a chick today poly vi sol tomorrow, some vits. can be more harmful than others. and like OB's said if slow growing is the only problem and she is eating and drinking and running around like all the others, maybe she is bantam.
featherfinder has a tiny Muscovy. so I'd say as long as everything else is going well just give her time.

Last edited:
Well....just discovered SOMETHING else wrong.....his left foot is completely worthless....doesn't move at all. So, when he tries to walk.....doesn't happen!! His foot and webbing is all curled up completely doing NOTHING!

Crap....what the heck!

I got them from Boondockers, so I am sure they aren't mixed with anything.

Dang....now what?

I dont' know!!!!!! I put them outside in a pen, and I saw him trying to walk, but doing more of a jump and then laying down.....

They were outside yesterday and he would run, kind of (kind of!) look like he would lose his balance and then would just hunker down and rest for a few.

Niacin??? Broken? He doesn't even put it down AT ALL.

leg.jpg

leg1.jpg

Quote:
when you feel it does it feel broken? move at an odd angle? does it act like it's painful? I guess it is if it's not putting weight on it. I am so sorry, could one of it's mates have stepped on it or run it down causing an injury? any swelling?

No swelling, and it doesn't feel like it is broken, but what do I know! Doesn't act like it hurts, but again...what do I know!

He is holding it up against his body when he stands up. Not putting any weight on it at all, but not even trying to put it down when he stands.

I hate this....I wish he would either die if he is going to, or get better, which is my wish.

I put him on my counter to eat, sprinkled crumbs for him, he gobbled them up, drank some Save A Chick, tried to go after a fly but couldn't get it, so I killed that fly and another one for him and he GOBBLED them up. So cute!

Quote:
I'd keep him separate from the others for a few days to see if just rest might help, since they are bigger they could have mowed the little one down and hurt it's leg. keep giving it the save a chick and food and keep it from walking so much that way it's resting it's leg. Don't give up on it, sounds like it's perky and eating good. just needs some TLC right now. you could even put it foot and leg into some warm epsom salt water, just be sure it doesn't drink any, that is good for sprains and such. I had to soak my drakes leg before.

I'd put a boot on the foot. Hard sole, tape the foot open and flat.

You are going to have to make extra effort to make sure he is getting enough food and water. He won't be able to push the bigger ducks out of his way to get to the food and water.

Back
Top Bottom