1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Duckling not Eating

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TaylorWhittington, Apr 12, 2018.

1. TaylorWhittington

TaylorWhittington Hatching

Apr 12, 2018
    I am new to ducks and yesterday I got 3 new Cayuga ducklings. I've noticed one of the ducklings is noticeably smaller than the other two. It sleeps a ton and peeps a lot more than the other two and while it falls asleep. i've noticed that it isn't eating. It will drink water when I put it near the bowl but then it will walk back over under the lamp and sleep more. I thought it was showing symptoms of just being too cold so I lowered the lamp to hopefully make the smaller duckling warm but then the other two ducklings hid in the shadows behind the waterer and it seemed too hot. I gave them all meal worms as snacks to get used to me and the other two loved them but Tiny was uninterested. I'm not sure if Tiny is just a runt who needs some kind of special attention or if it's a temperature thing or something. If anyone can help me out or give me some tips that would be awesome. Thank you!
    - Tiny has also seemed to make the movement of trying to poop but nothing has come out this has happened about 2 or 3 times that I've noticed
    - The other two are almost identical to each other in personality and looks whereas Tiny is just so small and tired

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    How's your duckling doing? Could be it needs a quick energy source like sugar or electrolytes in the water perhaps.

Miss Lydia and casportpony like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: