Duckling not eating?

xIndigoSkyx

Songster
9 Years
Dec 4, 2010
St.Albert, Alberta
My duckling (first hatchling) is not eating. She's 5 days old and has only pooped about 7 times that I know of, each green like new born ducky poop. She's not been eating today, only drinking a bit and isn't running around, she's also sitting funny with her bum high up in the air. Her tummy feels kinda swollen and she peeps a little when I press gently... Do you know what could be wrong with her? She also went to my school yesterday for just 3 hours and I kept her in her box on the heating pad, but then my mother took her to the open house and showed her off to everyone to let her get mauled and she's so tired now. Do you think she's going to be ok?

It may be an abdominal infection. Sometimes bacteria can get inside, via the spot that the 'umbilical cord' comes out. I happens during the hatch. I would guess that that is what may be wrong here. The condition is called omphalitis. Have a look at its tummy where the cord came out (where the yolk got absorbed). Does it look sore, swollen or rough in that spot?

There's a scab and her belly is swollen, she did stay attached to the shell for twelve hours before I took her out and held her to dry it out and then let her wiggle off on her own... I could get a picture if it would help.

some antibiotics may help it. holding its yolk sac after its out of its egg that you helped it out of may have let to much bacteria inside it if your hands or surrounding weren't clean enough.

Thanks for the extra info. I'd say that omphalitis is very likely. A picture would be helpful though.

If it is omphalitis, then I'm very sorry to say that the outlook is not good. The only option would be to take your duckling to a vet that knows about birds and that can give the appropriate antibiotics. Even with antibiotics, that type of infection is one that is very hard to cure, and so it is possible that your duckling will not make it. I'm really very very sorry about that. Is a vet trip a possibility?

may it was fed something the day it got mauled by kids. was it fine before it when to school it may have eaten something that made its tummy upset

Ok, just read your later post about the belly not being warm and looking normal. A picture of her tummy (in focus) would be very useful.

Another possibility is a blockage of the intestine cause by eating something she shouldn't. What kind of bedding have you been using in her brooder? Have a look at her vent - does it look red or swollen or blocked up with poop at all?

maybe give it some baby aspirin. like flake some aspirin off it give it to the ducking with some water mixed with it. cant be hardware its to small to swallow a screw or something

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom