Duckling not growing.

Hi there,
I have two ducks that are nearly adult—and four that are only a few weeks old.
My ducks grow fast! Very fast! I just started raising ducks a few months ago, and honestly, I didn’t know they grew so fast.

I agree with Rosemary: if the ducks are eating, drinking, and active—I wouldn’t worry too much.
Although, I will say my four ducklings growing now, one of them does appear to be a little smaller than the others.
Be well!

Ducklingguy 🦆
Thank you! ☺️

day 7 has ended... I’m attaching a picture of a the weight chart So far..... yikes what a difference. I even started weighing her twice and in grams as well, I’m looking for the slightest growth 🤦🏽‍♀️ She’s eating like crazy! I dunno where it’s going 🤷🏽‍♀️

Attachments

• F01DCCB5-951A-4817-9835-430B78A5B36A.jpeg
    F01DCCB5-951A-4817-9835-430B78A5B36A.jpeg
    293.3 KB · Views: 18
Yeah she's pretty tiny, and definitely super cute. What kind of feed are you feeding her?
I am feeding her flock raiser, with access to oats... shes Eating a bunch of both. I’m adding nutri drench to her morning mash (crumble, egg yolk, nutri drench) and She’s getting poult pack electrolyte powder in her water. I added in scrambled eggs too(a couple days ago) offering those throughout the day. she gets really low to the ground and pitter patters around zooming, seemingly acting o.k- 🥺

Warning: super gigantic post!

Sometimes a vitamin deficiency will contribute to stunted growth, @Isaac 0 would definitely be the person to talk to If it's a deficiency. I'm kinda thinking it's vitamins, if she's guzzling up food but not growing then it would seem like she is trying to get some kind of missing nutrient but not being satisfied. It's kinda like when our bodies are telling us that we are lacking in certain vitamins and we automatically assume we're just hungry and drive through mcdonald's and get a coke and a burger, not really getting what we need, just masking the feeling. The only other explaination would be that she can't properly digest her food and thats why she's not growing. Maybe it's also a missing amino acid in her diet? Amino acids are like the building blocks for our bodies, e.g. pigs cannot convert feed into muscle mass without lysine, lysine is found in cow poop so lots of farmers will cover cow poop ( cows also don't completely digest their food) with mollasses and feed and voila! Lysine for the pigs! Maybe you could add in some greens? I haven't done research on what kind of amino acids ducklings need so maybe someone more knowledgeable could comment.
Lots of people ferment their duck feed because it makes the nutrients more available, but I'm not sure about fermented feeds for ducklings. You're doing good by giving her eggs. It's strange that the others are growing but she isn't, however if it's a deficiency or something a little more genetic then sometimes it won't affect her siblings or brood mates and she will be the only one to struggle. Hope this helps, it was basically just me trying to figure out why ducklings won't grow😂

Warning: super gigantic post!

Sometimes a vitamin deficiency will contribute to stunted growth, @Isaac 0 would definitely be the person to talk to If it's a deficiency. I'm kinda thinking it's vitamins, if she's guzzling up food but not growing then it would seem like she is trying to get some kind of missing nutrient but not being satisfied. It's kinda like when our bodies are telling us that we are lacking in certain vitamins and we automatically assume we're just hungry and drive through mcdonald's and get a coke and a burger, not really getting what we need, just masking the feeling. The only other explaination would be that she can't properly digest her food and thats why she's not growing. Maybe it's also a missing amino acid in her diet? Amino acids are like the building blocks for our bodies, e.g. pigs cannot convert feed into muscle mass without lysine, lysine is found in cow poop so lots of farmers will cover cow poop ( cows also don't completely digest their food) with mollasses and feed and voila! Lysine for the pigs! Maybe you could add in some greens? I haven't done research on what kind of amino acids ducklings need so maybe someone more knowledgeable could comment.
Lots of people ferment their duck feed because it makes the nutrients more available, but I'm not sure about fermented feeds for ducklings. You're doing good by giving her eggs. It's strange that the others are growing but she isn't, however if it's a deficiency or something a little more genetic then sometimes it won't affect her siblings or brood mates and she will be the only one to struggle. Hope this helps, it was basically just me trying to figure out why ducklings won't grow😂
Much much much appreciated @Everose ! i will head down to look for some other supplements that I can offer. I’ll attach what I am giving her as far as supplement right now. thank you for responding and helping. 😃

Attachments

• 2892380F-D67E-45F5-88D5-DF1607F70BD0.jpeg
    2892380F-D67E-45F5-88D5-DF1607F70BD0.jpeg
    389.9 KB · Views: 18
  • D8CD4F30-BF40-4F82-BAD0-D209DD5C5693.jpeg
    D8CD4F30-BF40-4F82-BAD0-D209DD5C5693.jpeg
    372.5 KB · Views: 16
Yeah what you are giving her looks good! She's lucky to have such a good owner☺️
I’m trying for sure, thank you! But discouraging waking up to no new growth 😕
I love your amino acid comment, and now I’m curious if there’s just one piece of the puzzle missing for this little girl. Special needs perhaps warrants special added nutrient. searching now 😃

Back
Top Bottom