Duckling not growing.

Oh thank you so much! Everything helps ❤️
@FunnyfarmMidwest has Bobbles and he is the cutest little thing! I call him a cutie slice because he's not big enough to be a cutie pie! He's adorable. I suspect possible dwarfism could be a factor but of course it's merely an opinion. I agree with others on keeping your duckling warm enough, well fed and with appropriate supplements like Niacin

@FunnyfarmMidwest has Bobbles and he is the cutest little thing! I call him a cutie slice because he's not big enough to be a cutie pie! He's adorable. I suspect possible dwarfism could be a factor but of course it's merely an opinion. I agree with others on keeping your duckling warm enough, well fed and with appropriate supplements like Niacin
bobbles sounds SO cute! I’m going to look for that babe and his mama 😃☺️ I did read a tiny bit about possible dwarfism, now that you mention that! But I can’t find much About it?! Junie stays under the warmer more than her gigantic broodermates for sure. 🤭

@FunnyfarmMidwest also has a very small duckling. I just wanted to tag her so you guys could chat. I know the breeds are different, but it's relative, in my opinion. I wish you the best ❤️
Thanks so much for the tag @HeatherKellyB ! I’m happy to share my experience! I have had two ducklings in the past few months that have been very small and grown much slower than their siblings.
The one I have now (Bobbles is 4-5 weeks old and) is still the size of a week old duckling. He eats a ton but has been growing very slowly. He didn’t begin feathering in till this week. Despite his tiny size, he is doing great. I’m not sure what causes it but sometimes there are just smaller ones that grow at a different rate. I’ve been giving him extra feeding sessions away from the others, supplementing with B vitamins, and just giving him a bit of extra care. His siblings are already fully feathered and almost full size

here’s my first one that was tiny, it was like 3x smaller than its siblings and feathered in much slower. He is now fully grown and caught up in size with it’s siblings. He didn’t start growing till around 5 weeks.

Here’s the fella compared to his siblings then him now.
3 weeks
CB099423-19BF-48DA-B7CA-945C0A5408CD.jpeg
90B3549B-6C04-4A07-9E4D-2379976DC684.jpeg
939E2F35-9FAF-480B-B86A-43B2575E3664.jpeg

8 weeks (now) :
4FF4384F-27C6-4C94-93B8-1A28F69E5B68.jpeg

Here’s bobbles with a day old duckling. (He was 2 1/2 weeks old)
8487256B-63F5-4775-ABBD-EE111A3617C4.jpeg

Here’s bobbles at 3 1/2 weeks old:
D0FC8717-6C69-4974-8D1A-98AC6088F58F.jpeg

Here’s Bobbles now at 4 1/2 weeks old
5CF315F4-9BC3-4EA2-BBFC-B664DD056F5C.jpeg

Here’s his sibling who is the same age;
7ADB3C1E-D489-4EFF-9D38-D1E88DA8CE33.jpeg

@HeatherKellyB it makes me so happy to know you’re thinking of me and my little cutie slice! I do think that Bobbles has a form of dwarfism. Despite though, he is thriving and doing very well. Yes, I have noticed that Bobbles cannot regulate his temperature very well so heat is important. If he is without the heat lamp for a long time he shivers. The supplements have definitely helped too. Thanks!
@stripedgirls707 great luck with little Juniper, she/he is such a cutie! :love

Bobbles just a tiny thing and he has the most beautiful big eyes!

1BA5DF74-98FF-48BD-91DE-DB613389D8E3.jpeg
FB14F3A4-0B38-4DB8-8812-2A0B35D829F8.jpeg

@HeatherKellyB it makes me so happy to know you’re thinking of me and my little cutie slice! I do think that Bobbles has a form of dwarfism. Despite though, he is thriving and doing very well. Yes, I have noticed that Bobbles cannot regulate his temperature very well so heat is important. If he is without the heat lamp for a long time he shivers. The supplements have definitely helped too. Thanks!
@stripedgirls707 great luck with little Juniper, she/he is such a cutie! :love

Bobbles just a tiny thing and he has the most beautiful big eyes!

View attachment 2650951View attachment 2650952
Yes, @HeatherKellyB thank you for tagging - this community is so awesome.

Today juniper is 3.9 oz... but- I feel like maybe her head is growing more Than her body.... also, she has this little lump... 🥺 I was starting to think we were getting out of the woods, but something isn’t right. She just isn’t looking so hot Today 😭 Super slumpy, legs weak, and now I’m noticing this lump/ inside and slightly outside her belly.

Attachments

• E4562748-6480-4BA3-924C-C4C93CE50139.jpeg
    E4562748-6480-4BA3-924C-C4C93CE50139.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom