Duckling on its back

Tiggrsbounc

Songster
6 Years
Jun 28, 2013
Eastern NC
We got 3 ducklings a week & 1 day ago- my post: Ducklings-age, breed? Pics.
I usually check on the ducklings ever few hrs to make sure they have plenty of water, aren't cold etc. Everything has been great up until about 30 mins ago.

I kept having this feeling I needed to go into the room to check on them. Opened the door and 2 of the ducks started "fussing" and I noticed the "purple billed" duckling laying on its back.
Don't know their sexes yet so just using "it" for now. I picked it up and held it for a few mins-neck wanted to lay funny for the first min or so but then within a few mins, the duckling seemed fine. Wanted down, seemed to be slightly off balance but regained balance within a few mins. Went back to eating and drinking but maybe not quite as vigorously as it normally would.
Within 20 mins or so, the duckling seemed fine.

I am adding Brewer's yeast to their food and everyone has been healthy and very energetic. They get fed several times a day rather than having food available 24/7 but I'm feeding enough at a time that they usually don't eat everything in their bowl all at once anyway. Water is changed/refilled about 5 times a day.

Any ideas? Should I be worried?

Thanks,
Julie

Sounds like you did the right thing adding the brewers yeast. Ducklings can get niacin deficiency and act the way you described.

Good job. :)

Why aren't you keeping food down all the time? and water.
Are they gorging when you do feed them.

Maybe a electrolyte imbalance or Hypoglycemic from not eating when needed.
Ducklings[Poultry] need to have feed available 24/7 for their first at least 4 week possibly 5 weeks they need the nutrients they are growing at such a fast rate. And feed appropriate for them as babies.

May I ask your reason for feeding like you are?

Brewers yeast is an excellent form of niacin but I am not sure your lil one is getting what it needs. 1 Tab per cup of feed is rec.

Sounds like you did the right thing adding the brewers yeast. Ducklings can get niacin deficiency and act the way you described.

Good job. :)
Lovemy birds41 -They have been getting Brewers yeast since I got them-that's why I was a little puzzled about why he/she had an episode like that. I wonder if the duckling just tumbled over and couldn't get back upright? Thank you :)

Why aren't you keeping food down all the time? and water.
Are they gorging when you do feed them.

Maybe a electrolyte imbalance or Hypoglycemic from not eating when needed.
Ducklings[Poultry] need to have feed available 24/7 for their first at least 4 week possibly 5 weeks they need the nutrients they are growing at such a fast rate. And feed appropriate for them as babies.

May I ask your reason for feeding like you are?

Brewers yeast is an excellent form of niacin but I am not sure your lil one is getting what it needs. 1 Tab per cup of feed is rec.

Miss Lydia, No they arent gorging themselves- I don't think I explained the feeding part clearly. They do have water down all the time- I change and refill their water about 5 times a day to ensure they have clean water all the time. I am 30 ft or less away from them all day long, every day as they are in the house right now. They are fed plenty of feed at a time and have food left over in their bowl. Several (more than several) times a day I refill their feeder, adding the recommended amount of Brewer's Yeast every time. Their bowl is rarely empty when I go to refill but yes there are times I might go in and they may have been without food for 30 mins.
Duckling is doing great and I'm really thinking maybe he/she just got tipped over and couldn't get up.
Julie

Just an update to this thread-I never figured out why this happened with the Buff duckling. Never found it on its back again but did walk in one day and it was laying on its stomach with its legs straight out behind it. All the symptoms were the same as when I found it on its back.
Ducklings are now out in their house/coop and there have been no more issues with this at all. :woot

Back
Top Bottom