Ducklings-age, breed? Pics

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tiggrsbounc, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Tiggrsbounc

Tiggrsbounc Songster

Jun 28, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Hi!
    I've been a member since 2013 but rarely post-I read tons of the threads for chickens though.

I've owned ducks 3 times in my life-once when I was a teen, once about 13 yrs ago-I had to re-home them when we moved (for their safety) and today I became a duck owner again :)

We bought 3 ducklings from TSC and my best assumption is they're Pekins but one of them has a purplish bill, a little darker hue to the yellow, especially on top of his/her head and a blackish spot on the chest . He/she appears to be healthy, happy and energetic so I don't think the purplish bill is health related. I'm wondering if he's something other than Pekin.

I had forgotten how much I love ducks. These little ones are constantly cocking their heads and watching me when I go into their room to check on them. They are going to be house babies until our weather gets a little warmer and then I will move them to an outside pen gradually. Probably. Maybe. I don't think the hubs is going to let them be indoor pets lol. I don't think Athena and Maximus (indoor kitties) would be very nice to them-the ducks would be much happier outside where the pond in anyway. I've already been looking at a website of a breeder close to me and I think there will be a few more ducks added in the next month :)

Ducklings2.jpg Ducklings2.jpg
    Ducklings3.jpg
    Ducklings.jpg

Also, any thoughts on their age?
    I apologize in advance if these pics are huge. I can't seem to figure out how to resize them with my current photo program.

2. Khota

Khota Songster

Jun 4, 2017
    Texas
    I think they are pekins for sure! My guess would be about a week or two old. They're certainly adorable though!

Tiggrsbounc and Duck Lover88 like this.
  3. Duck Lover88

Duck Lover88 Songster

Jan 11, 2018
    Piedmont N.C
    pekins the one with a purplish bill is normal….So cute:love

Khota likes this.
  4. Georgina Fritznoodle

Georgina Fritznoodle Songster

Jun 7, 2017
    I think the duckling with the purplish bill may be a Buff Orpington. Here are some pics of my Buff Orpington.
    WP_20160411_22_45_06_Pro_copy.jpg
    WP_20160510_20_17_35_Rich_LI_copy.jpg
    WP_20171001_13_26_19_Rich_LI_copy.jpg

5. learycow

learycow Crowing

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    They look to be a week and a half old.
    The purple billed one looks to be a buff

Miss Lydia likes this.
  6. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    They look to be a week,possibly just four or five days,look fairly young.

Tiggrsbounc likes this.
  7. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Ducks win

Mar 22, 2014
    Italy
  8. Tiggrsbounc

Tiggrsbounc Songster

Jun 28, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Thank you. My daughter is in love with them and keeps trying to talk her boyfriend into getting her one lol (she's 21).

Duck Lover88 likes this.
  9. Tiggrsbounc

Tiggrsbounc Songster

Jun 28, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Georgina, my little one's bill looks just like yours did-right down to the lighter area at the tip of his/her bill. Thank you!

10. Tiggrsbounc

Tiggrsbounc Songster

Jun 28, 2013
    Eastern NC
    LearyCow, Thank you! The waiting is going to drive me nuts...can't wait to see what they look like in few wks!

learycow likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: