Duckling Question

casaquepaz

In the Brooder
May 8, 2018
Good Afternoon! Wondering how old our ducklings need to be in order for me to give them a small pool of water to swim in? I have been told conflicting things so I’m looking for advice from someone that’s raised ducks before
Thank you so much!!!

Just keep an eye on them and not too long for swim time. The older they get, they know when to get out. When mine were younger, I didn't dry them, but made sure to return them to dry bedding and they could dry off under the heat lamp.
How old are your ducklings?

I put mine out at 2 weeks old in cool water then put a fan space heater beside them while they preened and dried off.

like the giant hair dryer haha they loved it

I agree with Soon2BChixMom, in that I also allow my ducklings to self-dry, making sure the heat lamp is close by. They are all very effective at the preening/drying that they do. Later on, when they are older and larger (and have more feathers and less down) they won't even require a heat lamp. And finally, when it gets to be summer, I can let them swim in a pool outside (a large horse watering bowl), and they can let themselves out by jumping over the bowl's lip. Then they stand in the sunshine, and dry themselves. I could probably allow them to do this unattended, but I just don't feel safe, letting them be alone--especially since I have lost several ducks to predator attacks already! Babies in the garage sink--for me there's nothing cuter!

100_3042.JPG
100_1822.JPG

Good Afternoon! Wondering how old our ducklings need to be in order for me to give them a small pool of water to swim in? I have been told conflicting things so I’m looking for advice from someone that’s raised ducks before
Thank you so much!!!
Ive let my ducklings swim in small containers since 3 days old, gradually upping the size/depth of the water as they get older. Just make sure they don’t swim for more than a few minutes at a time and that you keep an eye on them because young ducklings can easily get waterlogged and drown. Also make sure the water is lukewarm or slightly warmer as young ducklings can get chilled quite easily. As long as you keep and eye on them and take them out if they start to struggle or cry out loudly they should be fine. Just make sure you dry them off nicely with a soft towel or T-shirt and put them under their heat lamp or use a blow dryer on them (on low-medium) for a few minutes. Good luck with your babies, raising ducks is so much fun and they’re such amazing additions to the familyi:wee:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom