Duckling question

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So on another thread I posted how my heat lamp exploded last night.

So to compensate the ducklings all are in a huge pile together to warm each other up. It seems to work quite well.

But it brings up another question;

Do I have to worry about them smothering each other sleeping and sitting like this? (see pic)

They seem OK. But I wouldn't know until its too late.

I have experience with ducklings but not with my heat lamp exploding before they've reached 3 weeks old and wouldn't need the lamp anymore. So this is new territory.

Attachments

• puppy pile ducklings 1.jpg
    puppy pile ducklings 1.jpg
    821.1 KB · Views: 9
I've been using the large heat plates from Premier for my last batch of ducklings. Works out so much better than the heat lamp. Can you put hot water bottles down for now until you get something else? Even filling up soda bottles with hot water is better than them piling up on each other. Hope you find a solution soon!

There is an article on here somewhere (will see if I can find it) about making a cave with a metal frame of some sort and putting a heating pad over it. In a pinch I have done that with a baker's cooling rack with a heat pad over it and it's done ok for a day or so until I can figure something out.

I've been using the large heat plates from Premier for my last batch of ducklings. Works out so much better than the heat lamp. Can you put hot water bottles down for now until you get something else? Even filling up soda bottles with hot water is better than them piling up on each other. Hope you find a solution soon!

Wow. Thanks. Good idea.

Back
Top Bottom