duckling question

Sustained

Songster
6 Years
Sep 17, 2014
Oregon
I have some newly hatched khaki Campbell/welsh harlequin cross ducklings. They're extremely skittish?? Is that normal? And how do I convince the poor little things that I'm not going to hurt them? These are my first ever ducks and I've never had a bird of any kind that I hatched be afraid of me. I feel like a big scary ogre when I walk to their brooder. They pile in a corner with their heads hidden from me
sad.png

I have some newly hatched khaki Campbell/welsh harlequin cross ducklings. They're extremely skittish?? Is that normal? And how do I convince the poor little things that I'm not going to hurt them? These are my first ever ducks and I've never had a bird of any kind that I hatched be afraid of me. I feel like a big scary ogre when  I walk to their brooder. They pile in a corner with their heads hidden from me :(

No need to worry this is normal. All my ducks were afraid of me when I first got them as ducklings. They just need a little time to get used to you. Try sitting next to the brooder as much as you can and talk to them so they get used to hearing your voice and seeing you. You can also pick them up and hold them on your lap until they calm down and eventually fall asleep. This gets them to trust you. They dont like being held at first but the more you do it, the more they like it and the more they like you. Treats also help :). Good luck! I would love to see pictures of the little babies. I am interested in what a khaki and welsh mix looks like :)

No need to worry this is normal. All my ducks were afraid of me when I first got them as ducklings. They just need a little time to get used to you. Try sitting next to the brooder as much as you can and talk to them so they get used to hearing your voice and seeing you. You can also pick them up and hold them on your lap until they calm down and eventually fall asleep. This gets them to trust you. They dont like being held at first but the more you do it, the more they like it and the more they like you. Treats also help
smile.png
. Good luck! I would love to see pictures of the little babies. I am interested in what a khaki and welsh mix looks like
smile.png

These are 2 of the males :) They're auto sexing which was really nice. The little female has the same spots but is a light chocolate brown instead of the black. I don't have a close up of her just yet. she wouldn't hold still at all. She's the most skittish of all of them

Thank you for the advice! I feel a little better about it now. I've been doing those things already but wasn't sure if there was something I should be doing different.

These are 2 of the males :) They're auto sexing which was really nice. The little female has the same spots but is a light chocolate brown instead of the black. I don't have a close up of her just yet. she wouldn't hold still at all. She's the most skittish of all of them Thank you for the advice! I feel a little better about it now. I've been doing those things already but wasn't sure if there was something I should be doing different.
They are adorable!

Back
Top Bottom