Duckling questions?

mbearrentine

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2023
Hi! I have a question about my mallard duckling and my Swedish duckling. They are about 3-4 weeks old I would guess. The mallard is getting dark brown and black striped feathers on the wings, and close to her legs, does that mean she’s a female? Also I was told my other duckling is a blue or black Swedish. He’s black with a yellow chest. His feathers coming out are a dark brown under his wings, was I told the wrong breed? Any info is helpful, thanks :)

Hi! I have a question about my mallard duckling and my Swedish duckling. They are about 3-4 weeks old I would guess. The mallard is getting dark brown and black striped feathers on the wings, and close to her legs, does that mean she’s a female? Also I was told my other duckling is a blue or black Swedish. He’s black with a yellow chest. His feathers coming out are a dark brown under his wings, was I told the wrong breed? Any info is helpful, thanks :)

I don't raise ducks anymore, but I found this.
mallard.PNG

And this: https://mybirdgarden.com/how-to-tell-if-a-mallard-duckling-is-male-or-female/

The easiest way to tell a male from a female is by looking at the bill. Males have black bills with a small hook on the end, while females have orange-brown bills that are straight across. Another way to tell them apart is by their size.

Males are usually about 25% larger than females. Finally, you can often hear the difference between males and females. Males make a “quack” sound, while females make a softer “tuk” sound.

• Look at the mallard duckling’s tail: If it is long and curved, the duckling is male. If the tail is shorter and squared off, the duckling is female.
  • Examine the mallard duckling’s bill: The male bill is orange with a black stripe running down the middle, while the female bill is mostly yellow with a small black tip
  • Listen to the mallard ducklings’ calls: Male ducklings make a soft “peep” sound, while female ducklings make a harsher “quack” noise

Back
Top Bottom