Duckling Questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lilduckiedudders, Aug 19, 2010.

1. lilduckiedudders

lilduckiedudders New Egg

Aug 18, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    Hi Everyone!

I have become "mom" to what I think is a baby Muscovy who I named Dudley. He was found about 10 days ago in a parking lot near where I work which is an area heavily populated with Muscovies. When I brought Dudley home, he couldn't stand at all and wouldn't eat. He did drink on his on though. He has since developed a hearty appetite and has regained the use of his legs and is able to run around.

What I would like to know is how to estimate his age. He has grown quite a bit in the 10 days that I've had him but he's still a fuffly little peeper with no pin feathers. When does the adult plummage typically start to come in? Also, he's on a starter feed for chickens and ducks and I'm assuming that since it is a "starter" feed he wont be on it forever. At what age should his diet be changed and should I be supplementing his current diet with anything?

Here are some pics of little Dudders...

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    By the looks of it from the photo- it couldnt have been more than a few days old when you found him. You should start to see some feathers coming through in about a week or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by