I just lost one of the new babies. It’s eyes were glued shut and it was super weak. I tried so hard and it wasn’t enough. They are all sick I can tell, with explosive diarrhea. I have no idea how to help them on a Sunday and I think today is the last chance for them. The last ones all went within 24 hours. Is tsc selling me infected birds? How do they get this??

I just lost one of the new babies. It’s eyes were glued shut and it was super weak. I tried so hard and it wasn’t enough. They are all sick I can tell, with explosive diarrhea. I have no idea how to help them on a Sunday and I think today is the last chance for them. The last ones all went within 24 hours. Is tsc selling me infected birds? How do they get this??
I forgot to add I’m pretty certain it’s new ducks disease so the outlook is bleak at best and I’m without a vet or medication for them

Hi Raylynn, I’m sorry about what you’re going through. I know nothing about ducks but maybe a duck expert will see your post and offer advice. Do you have any pictures to share, that helps. And what food are they eating?

Viruses are uncommon in waterfowl, and are more restricted to migratory waterfowl; in the U.S, there has been a mere total of three DVE outbreaks in wild waterfowl populations. Without a necropsy done on the deceased birds any suggestion of what they have is simply a guess. Bacterial diseases such as Pasteurellosis and E.coli can be common in ducks and can transmit quickly through the brood via fecal matter, or aerosol contaminants.

http://www.duckdvm.com/condition/pasteurellosis#:~:text=Pasteurellosis is a significant disease,often with many acute deaths.

If the birds were mine, I'd offer supportive care (exp, keep them in a warm area, ensure they're drinking, and eating well, add electrolytes to water, etc). In consideration of a bacterial-related problem, you could start them on antibiotics. Enrofloxacin (Baytril) is a broad-spectrum antibiotic that would likely take care of most of the conditions mentioned. The problem with such a route is the time it will take to receive the antibiotics. If you check your feed store, they may have antibiotics on the shelf, such as Penicillin that may suffice.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/medications-for-small-chicks-and-ducklings.1441331/

In addition to the above, strict hygiene should be practiced in the brooder, to reduce the spread of the disease. Ensure the area is free of fecal matter and is well ventilated. Placing the brooder in a sunny window may help.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Are you interested in sending the baby in for a necropsy? We can help you do that.

Also, may I suggest you don't get any more ducklings until this is figured out?

There is an incubation perioid usualy about a week up to two weeks where the duck is infected but not showing symptoms yet. If the ducklings died as soon as they came in contact with the virus it would not have much of a chance to spread.
I was hoping for a tried and true answer and I couldn’t seem to find one online as it seems as if most symptoms are the same. I guess the fact that all 6 were so rapidly affected leans towards a viral infection. But could an external occurrence in the environment cause the same problem? I’m hoping that it isn’t because if it is than I bought infected ducklings? And they may have infected my newbies, and they could be fine for two weeks longer without the same thing happening until then? Prospects seem so dire when I think about it that way 😢
There is no way that you might be feeding them medicated chick starter is there. Some people don't realize that the medicine in it can kill ducklings. I had a lady tell me today that she bought medicated to feed ducklings that I had just sold her and I let her know she can't do that or they will die. Luckily I had brought along some Duckling flock raiser that would be safe for them until she can get the right kind. Often times the help at these farm stores do not know what to tell people to feed them and what is safe and what is not. I hope your new ones are doing alright. Good Luck

There is no way that you might be feeding them medicated chick starter is there. Some people don't realize that the medicine in it can kill ducklings. I had a lady tell me today that she bought medicated to feed ducklings that I had just sold her and I let her know she can't do that or they will die.

The medication (amprolium) found in medicated feeds is fine for ducklings and won't cause any harm, it is actually routinely used in full strength for treating coccidiosis in waterfowl. The only possible harm feeding it would be the lack of niacin found in medicated chick feeds.

Here is a link I suggest reading-

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...dicated-feed-the-myths-and-the-truth.1247838/

The medication (amprolium) found in medicated feeds is fine for ducklings and won't cause any harm, it is actually routinely used in full strength for treating coccidiosis in waterfowl. The only possible harm feeding it would be the lack of niacin found in medicated chick feeds.

Here is a link I suggest reading-

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...dicated-feed-the-myths-and-the-truth.1247838/
Okay sorry, I had read on line never to give a duckling medicated feed. That is where I had gotten my opinion from.

Okay sorry, I had read on line never to give a duckling medicated feed. That is where I had gotten my opinion from.
It doesn't help either when you can find so many sites that say all of that medication meant for chicks will kill water fowl and it does lack the niacin like you say. This surely does confuse a person. I have raised numerous ducklings and never lost a one but always stayed clear of anything medicated. Guess I have always been lucky. Thanks for letting us know that it's alright to use. I will still stay clear though because of my success rate with these little ones.

I forgot to add I’m pretty certain it’s new ducks disease so the outlook is bleak at best and I’m without a vet or medication for them
How are they now. Did the new ones die too? What kind of food and bedding did you use? What about your water? Is it tap water or well water?

Back
Top Bottom