Duckling refusing food and water

Hatched at home. First one out, super strong and helped the other two! They're cuddled up with him in the middle at the min
If they're huddled up and chirping, they're probably too cool. What heat source are you using? Heat plate? Lamp? Check the temperature.

If they're huddled up and chirping, they're probably too cool. What heat source are you using? Heat plate? Lamp? Check the temperature.
I think this tube is the heat source:
1685642326273.png

I had this exact thing happen. The duckling looked like she couldn't stay awake, didn't eat, and eventually her siblings far outpaced her in size (as they grow so fast). I separated her from the others, as they were pecking her and climbing on her, and she eventually died after a day or so. Keep an eye out too because at around the same time my daughter got seriously ill with (we think) salmonella. I don't know if they were related but it seemed related. Sorry :(

ETA: I tried to feed the duckling sugar water and duck-safe food with no success at all. She had no other visible issues aside from the bizarre half-asleep thing.

Last edited:
I don't know... I'm using a heat tube so not sure how to gauge temp..
I haven't heard of this before, is it actually designed for ducklings/chicks?
Can you get a heatplate or lamp instead? That way you can check the temperature and make sure its correct for them.

Have you tried dipping just the tip of his beak in the water? Just the tip of his beak, don't get any water in his nares. What feed are they on, and are you supplementing niacin?

I haven't heard of this before, is it actually designed for ducklings/chicks?
Can you get a heatplate or lamp instead? That way you can check the temperature and make sure its correct for them.

Have you tried dipping just the tip of his beak in the water? Just the tip of his beak, don't get any water in his nares. What feed are they on, and are you supplementing niacin?
Yeah it came on loan from my brother in law who is a farmer. I've panicked and made them up a hot water bottle too now. They're on chick crumb which says suitable for chicks and ducks. The other 2 are very full of life... I've dipped his beak and he has a little drink. Refusing food despite having his beak popped in it. Laying down, doesn't want to walk, crying 😭

Oh that's horrid I hope that's not the case here. I have a 13yr old crying in bed!
I had this exact thing happen. The duckling looked like she couldn't stay awake, didn't eat, and eventually her siblings far outpaced her in size (as they grow so fast). I separated her from the others, as they were pecking her and climbing on her, and she eventually died after a day or so. Keep an eye out too because at around the same time my daughter got seriously ill with (we think) salmonella. I don't know if they were related but it seemed related. Sorry :(

ETA: I tried to feed the duckling sugar water and duck-safe food with no success at all. She had no other visible issues aside from the bizarre half-asleep thing.

Yeah it came on loan from my brother in law who is a farmer. I've panicked and made them up a hot water bottle too now. They're on chick crumb which says suitable for chicks and ducks. The other 2 are very full of life... I've dipped his beak and he has a little drink. Refusing food despite having his beak popped in it. Laying down, doesn't want to walk, crying 😭
Can you put it back in the incubator? I really think it's too cold, and when they get too cold, their intestines shut down, & they stop drinking & eating. When I have one like this, I put them back in the hatcher and set the temp to 90 degrees.

Oh that's horrid I hope that's not the case here. I have a 13yr old crying in bed!
I really hope it isn't the case for you and he makes a comeback! My son (5) was absolutely destroyed when ours got killed by minks. Big hearted kids 💖

Back
Top Bottom