1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckling related

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by glo7196, Jun 3, 2016.

1. glo7196

glo7196 New Egg

Jun 3, 2016
    Hartford, Wisconsin
    Ive had chickens and ducks before in the past but i am getting 2 ducklings next week, and last time i raised them they made such a mess in the shavings with water and food. Any suggestions for bedding besided shavings or any tips to keep it somewhat dryer?

2. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

We made a little screen-frame thing and put it over a plastic container (think paint tray)... look up "the duck chronicles" on youtube... :) the guy chronicles his duck raising and shows how to make what i told you about :D

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    A milk jug with a couple of holes big enough for their heads at shoulder height works well. They have to be replaced as they grow, but they can get their beaks in there and dabble as much as they like without getting it everywhere. They obviously can swim or splash in it either. And they're cheap. I've also used a wooden square with hardware clothe on top. The drinker is placed on the wire and a good sized bowl is placed under. The bowl catches most of the water they splash out.

Good luck. They're messy little critters, but oh so cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by