Duckling Scraped Back Injury

Nerdmom81

Songster
Apr 21, 2022
When I went to let my ducks out of the duck house this morning, to my dismay I saw that one of my 1 month old ducklings had tried to wedge herself between a barricade I had placed inside the house.

I’m integrating these two new little ones with the rest of the flock and used a dog kennel barricade (while still keeping them all enclosed in our large duck house) and it seems one of the littles tried to wedge themselves through the 3-4” gaps and got stuck.

In her panic and trying to dislodge herself (which would’ve just involved backing up rather than trying to go through 😕) seems she rubbed off about 3 inches of skin on her back giving her what looks really similar to rug burn/road rash.

Treatment wise what would you guys recommend? I immediately dislodged her, sprayed her down with vetericyn, checked and saw she has no cuts or puncture wounds. I also put blu-kote on her. Anything further I can do?

I’ve checked on her throughout the day and she’s eating and drinking though they both seem understandably less active and rattled today. I have covered the kennel barricade with tiny hardware cloth so she won’t be able to replicate this again.

Sounds like you did great
These little ones get so worked up
I’ll tag @Miss Lydia in case she has anything to add
Ok thank you. I feel terrible but have done this exact thing before when I moved our other ducklings from the brooder to the duck house for transition time with no problem. This particular duckling is the most flighty though, so I guess I should’ve known! Filing this under live and learn 😞

Ok thank you. I feel terrible but have done this exact thing before when I moved our other ducklings from the brooder to the duck house for transition time with no problem. This particular duckling is the most flighty though, so I guess I should’ve known! Filing this under live and learn 😞
I use the same thing as barriers but may do your next thing and add hardwire to prevent that
I’ve got lucky so far but there is always that one that gives us a little stress

They sure can give us stress. lol
@Nerdmom81 sounds like you have taken good care of it. Only thing I would add if there is any opening in the skin I'd keep this little one inside away from flies so you don't end up with maggots.
Other than that I think you have done great taking care of it.

They sure can give us stress. lol
@Nerdmom81 sounds like you have taken good care of it. Only thing I would add if there is any opening in the skin I'd keep this little one inside away from flies so you don't end up with maggots.
Other than that I think you have done great taking care of it.
Ok thank you. I just checked in on her this morning and made sure it was still clean. No openings just a rough abrasion.

Back
Top Bottom