Duckling seems delayed.....

Ducklala

Chirping
Jun 14, 2022
Hi duck friends.

I thought of writing about one of my ducklings because I think there may be something wrong with him/her. I hatched 18 ducklings, most of them hatched on June 23rd and 24th. One was taking a little longer and only hatched on the 25th. I thought nothing of it because sometimes ducklings hatch early/late. However, 2 weeks later, this little one is still very little - almost half the size of the rest of the flock - and a bit delayed. He doesn't follow the others and always seems lost. Also, when I use the broom around the coop, or make noises he doesn't move away!! He doesn't even flinch. The others will run to one side, or at least move out of the way but he doesn't. Do you think he will grow out of this? Could he be deaf? It is very noticeable how different he is. I worry about him... any thoughts?

(He's the small one on the left)

Thanks!
20230709_110327.jpg

Attachments

• 20230709_110327.jpg
    20230709_110327.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 6
Hi duck friends.

I thought of writing about one of my ducklings because I think there may be something wrong with him/her. I hatched 18 ducklings, most of them hatched on June 23rd and 24th. One was taking a little longer and only hatched on the 25th. I thought nothing of it because sometimes ducklings hatch early/late. However, 2 weeks later, this little one is still very little - almost half the size of the rest of the flock - and a bit delayed. He doesn't follow the others and always seems lost. Also, when I use the broom around the coop, or make noises he doesn't move away!! He doesn't even flinch. The others will run to one side, or at least move out of the way but he doesn't. Do you think he will grow out of this? Could he be deaf? It is very noticeable how different he is. I worry about him... any thoughts?

(He's the small one on the left)

Thanks!
View attachment 3571958
What breed are they. The one on the right looks like a Pekin and they get huge, the left one is more of a Mallard type but I don't know the breed but would be possibly a much smaller duck to start with. It might just be a chilled duckling and I would give it time to see if it eventually starts acting more normal.

What breed are they. The one on the right looks like a Pekin and they get huge, the left one is more of a Mallard type but I don't know the breed but would be possibly a much smaller duck to start with. It might just be a chilled duckling and I would give it time to see if it eventually starts acting more normal.
So I have 12 Pekin and 6 mixed mallard. He's still the smallest compared to the others. The size doesn't bother me as much as his delayed reaction. I'll wait it out. He's eating and drinking well! Thanks!

So I have 12 Pekin and 6 mixed mallard. He's still the smallest compared to the others. The size doesn't bother me as much as his delayed reaction. I'll wait it out. He's eating and drinking well! Thanks!
You are most welcome and maybe he is just going to be a chilled duck which I would love. I hate it when they run scared at every little thing and I am lucky that most of mine are chilled. He's a real cutie pie.

Two days is an eternity in ducklings 'years'.
My first hatched just grew in tummy feathers and my 'youngest' is still completely covered in fuzz.
This picture is from a week ago, and you can see how Napoleon is noticeably smaller even though it's is the foreground of the picture.

Attachments

• 20230702_145632.jpg
    20230702_145632.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Two days is an eternity in ducklings 'years'.
My first hatched just grew in tummy feathers and my 'youngest' is still completely covered in fuzz.
This picture is from a week ago, and you can see how Napoleon is noticeably smaller even though it's is the foreground of the picture.
Could it also be a drake and a hen? There is quite a bit of size difference between the two of them even as ducklings.

Could it also be a drake and a hen? There is quite a bit of size difference between the two of them even as ducklings.
I had taken care back from the surrogates and fed Napoleon sugar water and electrolytes because it was acting dazed and listless. The hatch was over a 60 hour period. If I had to guess I would say Napoleon is a male based on temperament and beak color, but who knows!
My hatchery batch didn't have that much disparity in size between the sexes, but temperament was noticeable before the voicing was done.

I had taken care back from the surrogates and fed Napoleon sugar water and electrolytes because it was acting dazed and listless. The hatch was over a 60 hour period. If I had to guess I would say Napoleon is a male based on temperament and beak color, but who knows!
My hatchery batch didn't have that much disparity in size between the sexes, but temperament was noticeable before the voicing was done.
Can you please tell me how the temperament was different. Mine all walk around in a group for the most part and where there is one you will see all 4 that hatched out together.

Can you please tell me how the temperament was different. Mine all walk around in a group for the most part and where there is one you will see all 4 that hatched out together.
Males seem to be slightly calmer and a little more gregarious.
My last drake was my favorite hen, but then he never quacked!
He is the father of these ducklings.
Looks like I am going to have some silver/white ones!

Attachments

• 20230710_164035.jpg
    20230710_164035.jpg
    830.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom