Duckling struggling to breath fluid coming from nostrils

Themightyducks

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2018
I have 5 3 week old call cross crested ducklings who have gone for a swim today while i was cleaning their house one of the ducklings started making a funny sound looked over he had climbed out of the water and was making odd sounds like choking and opening closing his mouth repeatedly.
They did have a small amount of lettuce in the water thought he had some stuck have checked his mouth multiple times nothing in there.

Now we are 4 hours later and he looks ok color wise hes not walking mich just sitting with his head bobbing back and forth and has water coming from his nostrils over and over again if he sneezes heaps comes out every so often we get a squeek sound he is normaly a very noisy duckling.

What is wrong and what can i do or is he just going to die on me?

Attachments

• 15438965129722531621640763706049.jpg
    15438965129722531621640763706049.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 74
That happened with sugar when she was little, he might have taken in some water. She would shake her head and water came flying out of her nose, but she also had a small hole in her bill from being picked on that has since healed. Is it just clear fluid?

How is the Duckling today?
Most times it's nothing to worry about.
Only thing that concerns me is it's Crested..That's a deformity so neurological issues are possible.
How is the Duckling today?
Most times it's nothing to worry about.
Only thing that concerns me is it's Crested..That's a deformity so neurological issues are possible.
Oh really what neurological issues can they have? We have only had swedish blues in the past and wanted calls but could only find cross ones. I know its a deformity in the scull but these little guys are so cute especially this one.

I have 5 3 week old call cross crested ducklings who have gone for a swim today while i was cleaning their house one of the ducklings started making a funny sound looked over he had climbed out of the water and was making odd sounds like choking and opening closing his mouth repeatedly.
They did have a small amount of lettuce in the water thought he had some stuck have checked his mouth multiple times nothing in there.

Now we are 4 hours later and he looks ok color wise hes not walking mich just sitting with his head bobbing back and forth and has water coming from his nostrils over and over again if he sneezes heaps comes out every so often we get a squeek sound he is normaly a very noisy duckling.

What is wrong and what can i do or is he just going to die on me?
Thanks everyone he all of a sudden was back to normal lastnight went to check on them and he was squeeking like no tomorrow.
He wanted to be held which was odd but the water had stopped and he wasnt bobbing his head or gasping and was walking around like normal.
i think hes alot more attached now as i had him in my pocket on my jumper all day was too scared to leave the poor thing.

Perfectly fine this morning! Such a relief iv become very attached to this one he is alot more friendly and inquisitive than the other 4.

Back
Top Bottom