Duckling struggling to hatch; external yolk sac

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi, this is a khaki Campbell duckling on day 30 of incubation. I opened the shell yesterday and found the yolk sac still outside the abdomen. Left that in place. She is chirping and moving her limbs,
IMG_20240405_051052100.jpg
moreso than yesterday. The yolk sac seems maybe a tiny bit smaller than yesterday. I dipped her in warm water a few times. Should she be left in the incubator until the yolk sac is completely absorbed? Does she have a good chance at survival?

Hi, this is a khaki Campbell duckling on day 30 of incubation. I opened the shell yesterday and found the yolk sac still outside the abdomen. Left that in place. She is chirping and moving her limbs, View attachment 3792086moreso than yesterday. The yolk sac seems maybe a tiny bit smaller than yesterday. I dipped her in warm water a few times. Should she be left in the incubator until the yolk sac is completely absorbed? Does she have a good chance at survival?
I think so probably cuz she has to stay warm and let me tag @New duck mommy 2021 she knows about hatching , I never have done it.

Hi, this is a khaki Campbell duckling on day 30 of incubation. I opened the shell yesterday and found the yolk sac still outside the abdomen. Left that in place. She is chirping and moving her limbs, View attachment 3792086moreso than yesterday. The yolk sac seems maybe a tiny bit smaller than yesterday. I dipped her in warm water a few times. Should she be left in the incubator until the yolk sac is completely absorbed? Does she have a good chance at survival?
Why did you dip her in water, that can add bacteria. Place her on clean paper towels in a bowl or cup in the bator so she doesn't drag herself and bust the sac and let the yolk finish absorbing. Not sure if you should put anything on it wait till @New duck mommy 2021 gets here. Was she struggling to hatch is that why you opened the egg?

Wetting the baby will cause her to get cold
That is not a good idea
Take a dry paper towel in a small bowl set baby inside and back in the bator
It’s so hard for them to absorb the yolk once out of the egg
The water was boiled to remove bacteria and still warm when dipped. I didn't want her to get shrink wrapped in the shell. In the future is it advisable to not touch the egg at all even at days 32/33?

The water was boiled to remove bacteria and still warm when dipped. I didn't want her to get shrink wrapped in the shell. In the future is it advisable to not touch the egg at all even at days 32/33?
Babies not even absorbed should never be dipped in water
If the egg was that late then temps were not accurate
Or baby is mixed with Muscovy
Can you explain why you opened the egg before baby was ready ? Was it showing signs of trying to hatch ?
When I assist I make a tiny pin hole the size of my tac pin and leave the egg alone for 48-72 hours depending if it got in the air cell ( 24-48 hours ) bruised the egg outside the air cell 48-72 hours
I never open my eggs up until they are ready to hatch
I can candle above the air cell area and look for veins
I do this after 48 hour mark
If I see any veins remain I wait 4 -6 hours and check again
Once the egg is clear of baby is not hatching I will make a zip and let them push out if they are to stuck I will pull shell off above the head and again let the baby push out
If ever a baby is born with a yolk nest thing to do is set it on a dry paper towel in a small bowl or cup back in the bator
If the yolk is larger cover the bowl or cup part way with kitchen plastic wrap or paper towel so the yolk doesn’t dry out
If you get out of a shower no matter how warm the water is you get cold instantly
These little ones are not able to regulate body temps and no bathing should be done for first 3 days
How is the baby doing now ?
I just read your other comment. I’m sorry you lost the baby
We learn as we go
I lost my first baby hatching her to fast
I have come a long way with help from here and now I can assist perfectly if needed
I learned time and patients with ducklings

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom