DUCKLING STUCK IN EGG

Backyardducks_

Chirping
Apr 3, 2021
This duckling pipped 24 hours ago and he popped out around 3 today it’s now 9 and he’s still stuck in the egg so I looked to see what was going on and I can’t really tell what’s going on can someone help me and tell me what I can do he’s chirping and seems healthy other then his eyes are closed and still curled up but the yolk is absorbed
image.jpg

This duckling pipped 24 hours ago and he popped out around 3 today it’s now 9 and he’s still stuck in the egg so I looked to see what was going on and I can’t really tell what’s going on can someone help me and tell me what I can do he’s chirping and seems healthy other then his eyes are closed and still curled up but the yolk is absorbed View attachment 2760268
I’m not an expert but it looks like his navel is dried up to the side of the egg. I’ve had a duckling hatch where it’s navel was still open but had dried up and he was curled up with his eyes closed for hours without it healing so I put a little dab of warm water on it and a little bit of bedadine then put him back in the incubator and it had closed when I checked on him next I don’t want to do that with this one since I don’t know if it’s the same thing happening and he’s still in the egg and it would be hard to get a q tip in there safety

40+ hours from initial pip is not uncommon for most ducks, so since the head is out, I wouldn’t push it now.
If you shine your light straight down it’s belly, you should see the navel area. I think I still see a little navel protrusion (though the yolk does look fully absorbed to me) but not sure. I’d just let it hang out in the shell for a bit longer. Since the head is free, it can push it’s way out on its own now.

I'd start chipping away at the shell. Slowly work your way down towards where the naval attaches. Sometimes there is goo that can harden and stick to the down. If this is the case, use warm water to slowly work it loose.
i got a q tip and warm water and started to get it wet and I could already see it coming loose so I kept dabbing it till she was loose from the egg just attached by one little cord that I can later snip off when it dries up

i got a q tip and warm water and started to get it wet and I could already see it coming loose so I kept dabbing it till she was loose from the egg just attached by one little cord that I can later snip off when it dries up
There was a lot of poop inside the egg and on her navel so I made sure to clean it off before putting her back in the incubator

Back
Top Bottom