Duckling surprise!!!!! Road trip hatch pics.

SSSSHHHHH Dont tell anyone. I think its ok when hatching is concerned. No-one at work understands how wonderful it is to hatch ducklings- so I wanted to update on here- coz poultry people understand!!!!!

I was on my lunch break anyway- But couldnt wait to get home before I could share the exciting news.

I am home now though- And had a look for myself. I was surprised about the second egg- It hadnt even broken through the membrane yet when I left this morning. At least my little 5 day old Muscovy will have some new friends more her size to live with soon.

YAYAYA. is she eating better? hopefully she will now
smile.png
yay!!

I had planned a short weekend trip away with my daughter and her friend - and now that these guys have surprised me by starting to hatch- I have a dilema. I can leave them home- but worry about the fan in the incubator, without supervision, will they be ok- will they hatch at all, what if they need help. I cant just leave them home.....But where I am going is two hours away- No electricity either, sp harder to keep them warm.

They are unzipping at the moment- and its still an hour or so before I leave. I am preparing a little box with a hot water bottle so that either way - hatched or still unzipping in the egg- they can travel with us. It might be a odd way for the little guys to start life- But I am sure it will be an experience for the city raised friend - Seeing a duckling hatch on a car trip to the country.

I was surprised how easily I managed to keep to temperature using a hot water bottle, and I dampened the clothes in places for a bit of humidity.

46956_rteggs.jpg

The eggs had pipped, and the ducklings were unzipping as we left home. They were snug and safe on a hot water bottle beside me in the car.

And had a surprise half way to my destination. The first baby hatched. Joined shortly after by a second gorgeous little pekin ducking!!!

46956_rthatch.jpg

I dont think I will ever have a road trip hatching again. It is so much easier to sit and watch them in an incubator.

I was a little worried about the second one- he did vomit just as he was emerging from the egg, but seems ok now. ( and no- it wasnt car sickness from my driving
lau.gif
lau.gif
) He may be a little splay legged- but I will keep an eye on him over the next 24 hours and decide if he needs his legs tapped up for a while.

Back
Top Bottom